fur fashion guide status

minkme

We have maintenance periods too. Thankfully, they are short and not very frequent.

Almost all sites go off-line for short periods, once in a while.

Best course of action is to wait a short time... An hour or two.

If the site doesn't come back on or, at least, post a message then there might be cause for action.

Otherwise, it will probably come back in a little while.

Is the fur fashion guide website not working?

Twas not your imagination. Site was inaccessible for a bit this week. Back to functioning normally.

thanks for letting me know

No problem. When the system says "loading" and your screen is still blank 90 seconds later you gotta wonder "Is it me or them?".

The problem could be anywhere. A lot of times, when the browser "hangs" it's because your computer is waiting for data to come in from the remote server.

It could be because the server that the remote website runs on is busy or overloaded and is running slow. (This happened to us a while back.)

It could be because one or more of the links in the internet "pipeline" between you and the remote site are overloaded and data isn't getting through. Think of the internet as a freeway for information. Just like on a real freeway, there are traffic jams. If your data hits a virtual traffic jam, it could take longer for your data do come through and, therefore, it could take a long time for your website to load.

It could be because of a problem in your local connection to the internet. The internet "freeway" is running fine. Your little "off ramp" to the freeway is jamming up. If the wiring in your house has gone bad your data can't get through like it should. People often call inside premises wiring the "last mile."

Your DSL/Cable modem could be malfunctioning or it could be misconfigured. Your data is getting all the way to your house but, when it gets to your cable modem, it just can't find its way to your computer.

Finally, it might be a problem with your computer. Your computer might be configured incorrectly or there might be a problem with your web browser program that's causing it.

90% of the time, freeze-ups can be solved by hitting the "BACK" button on your browser and reloading the page.

Just wait a minute for the "traffic jam" to clear and request the page again. It should come through just fine.

You might find that there are certain times of the day or evening when the internet runs faster or slower.

Several years ago, people discovered something called the "Seinfeld Effect."

Between 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM the internet used to frequently become congested. Then, suddenly, at about 8:00 PM, the congestion cleared and the internet ran fine. At about 9:00 PM, the congestion returned until 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM it slowly went away again.

What they discovered is that people came home from work and, right after dinner time, they hopped on the internet and started surfing. That's when the congestion started. Then, when the "Seinfeld Show" came on TV, people stopped surfing and went to watch TV for an hour or so. When people were done watching TV, they hopped back on the internet until bedtime, at which time, the congestion cleared again until the next day.

So, if your internet connection freezes up a lot, you might be caught up in a Seinfeld effect. Try again later when traffic slows.

"Last Mile" problems and problems in your DSL/cable modem are going to have to be solved between you and your internet service provider.

One thing that is often helpful, especially if you use Internet Explorer as your browser, is to empty your browser cache.

Here is a link to a page from Microsoft which explains how to clear your browser cache:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx

It talks specifically about IE-6 but other versions are similar. You should be able to figure it out.

One thing you can check is to see if OTHER websites are running slow or if JUST ONE is. If it's just one site, you know the problem isn't in your system but in "their" system. Contact the site owner/administrator if you can. Otherwise, look to see if the problem isn't in your system, somewhere.

We haven't had problems with the Fur Den in quite a while but, if you have problems that won't go away, please give us a "holler" and let us know. We'll do what we can to fix it.

Another "glitch" that can happen occasionally with internet traffic is packet loss. If your browser is waiting for a packet of data that was lost (dropped somewhere probably by an overloaded router), it could be unable to detect that the packet was lost and just keep waiting. Usually browsers can detect that a packet was lost in the middle of a data stream and will request a re-transmission of the missing data packet. However if the lost data packet was the last of the stream of packets, it would probably just wait indefinitely for the packet to arrive.

• 6 months later...

I'm having this same problem. I cannot get to the fur fashion guide. I can't believe it. It makes me very sad, because I cannot live without it!

I'm having this same problem. I cannot get to the fur fashion guide. I can't believe it. It makes me very sad, because I cannot live without it!

I was on the site last (FRI) night at 8:00 p.m. and again this (SAT) morning at 7:30 a.m., so any disruption would have been temporary.

Re: FFG ... The weird thing I've noticed the past week or so is that I cannot access many of the site functions if I'm using Firefox. If I switch to Explorer everything is normal. Not sure if this is just my issue or others have noticed as well ...

The site runs for me, even with Firefox.

Maybe they are shutting down for maintenance but not putting up notice.

Just guessing....

I have not been able to visit Fur Fashion Guide for over two weeks! Could it be that PETA hackers are attacking my internet domain so I can't access it?

I will not deny that something like that could happen but I find it to be highly unlikely.

I have seen no evidence of anything like that happening here nor do I believe the administration of FFG would tolerate such a thing if they thought it was happening at their site.

Furthermore, it is not legal to do anything like that.

I can't say that it will never happen but I don't think it is. The more likely scenario is that something has gone wrong on the user's end of the line.

Can you access ALL the other sites you want to access without problems?

What is the response you get when you try to access the site?

There is something odd going on. I continue to have issues accessing the site with Firefox. I can log on but I cannot access the photo gallery, chat, etc. No issues accessing site with Explorer.

Such problems are frequently in the user's browser. I suggest:

• Clear the cache;
  • Clear all cookies;
  • Make sure you are not blocking cookies from that website;
  • Make sure you are allowing javascript from that website.

While the above listed items may not clear all browser related problems, they will clear up a surprising number of login/access issues.

Hi

Our server and website/forum FFG was under heavy attack, so we blocked automatic many IP ranges worldwide.

Probaly one of your IP adresses was into this block, that was causing some acces problems for some members.

Did you try AKcoyote suggested?

Such problems are frequently in the user's browser. I suggest:

• Clear the cache;
  • Clear all cookies;
  • Make sure you are not blocking cookies from that website;
  • Make sure you are allowing javascript from that website.

While the above listed items may not clear all browser related problems, they will clear up a surprising number of login/access issues.

Otherwise what error message you get when you try acces the forum or website?

show me what errors you get when you try access, and i will help you.

Regards Cookie

Our server and website/forum FFG was under heavy attack

Curious ... Does the Den have similar issues?

Occasionally. Most often it is from spammers and/or bots.

Like FFG, we just block them from the server level, using any one of several methods. It might be an IP block. It might be another form of block.

I can't tell you exactly what methods we use because, then, I'd have to kill you. JK.

Curious ... Does the Den have similar issues?

We have been lucky enough (so far) to not attract the types of DOS (denial of service) attacks many popular sites get. However, in addition to the spammer/bot issues Worker mentioned, we have received cracker attacks attempting to take over control of the server. But we were able to block them before they were successful in picking the lock on the door. Now it is much harder for them to even find the lock.