Hello my friends, this is braahp, I need your help... :(

James Graham

Note to Denizens - Plz see page 3 of this thread. Sadly, it contains news pertaining to this and subsequent posts in this thread concerning our fellow Denizen, braahp.

Hello friends, this is Braahp. I need some help Im hoping some of you can supply:

I hate to ask this of you guys, but I am in the middle of a project right now and need some help from any of the members here who may be from the Oswestry, Shropshire England Area. I know next to nothing of this area, but would love to learn more, not only for myself, but my Grandmother as well.

We are having trouble finding info on our family (Sur-name Jarvis) who apperently originated in that area. I have our family bible, which has the first entry of 1850 in it, which is supposed to be when the Jarvis family migrated to America.

What I am asking of many others on forums I use that have members around the world is, can someone who lives there, or around there take pictures of landmark buildings, steeples, churches, or historical landmarks. I would be happy to pay for any help, as this is very important to myself and family. If someone could, there would be a HUGE payment to someone who could actually provide Jarvis Family info from census data for as long as could be done.

Thank you

James Graham (AKA Braahp) Sur-name Jarvis

PS: I love you all, and trully miss everyone I know here, but because of family events in the past year, I may not be around long....

I am asorry to hear that James.

The mormon site ancestry.com may be a good help

All the census info is there if you know adressses, areas, dates of birth and plaves etc.

I dont live near Shropshire, and the only Jarvis I know is the racehorse trainer. I will if I see him ask him a little about his family to see if its any help.

I do hope there is nothing too seriously wrong james.

Folks. It is a little difficult here as always being an admin and not knowing what info I should mention.

Let me just say that Braaph has gone through some really difficult times lately losing loved ones. Times that all of us would think impossible for any person to handle.

Braaph, I just want you to know that we are all thinking of you right now at this very difficult time. Have courage friend!

White Fox

I thank you for your support, it is much appreciated. I really should have given more information to my true friends here at the den. Ive relied on the support of many of you for years, and those who kow me, know what that means. (I do miss you fuzzy )

The short story here is, most of the men in my family are born with the bleeding disorder Hemophilia (A in my case) and die very abrubtly. Unfortunetly for me, I was born with both Hemophilia and suffer from advanced stages of acromegaly (A growth disorder) I was diagnosed early in my life, and was put on apperently an experimental treatment until I was 18, when I had peaked and stopped growing at about 7"1'

Life was ok for the last 14 years of my life, and my father had thought I would be ok. But within the last year, I had problems breathing, losing ballance, and overall light headed most of the time. I personally am afraid of doctors, so I put off seeing Dr. Shotobi for quote a while. Well, when I finally seen him, He told me while my physical growth had ballanced out, my organs have not. So my time is coming to an end, as any further treatments may risk my bleeding and no amount of Factor 8 will help me.

While this may sound depressing, I have come to the realization. Unfortunetly, thats really just the begining.

Some of you know my father lost his second wife in 3 years to cancer a while back. Since then, he passed 4 months later than I lost all my brothers to bleed outs, my sister passed in childbirth, and we lost my uncle, his wife and their children in a fire shortly after. Now all I have left is my wife, son and my grandmother.

There is allot of things my family history can tell me, as I know I had quite a few members survive what I have, maybe not both, but survive at least one. I have a large portion of my family history documented, but nothing before 1874 when my great-great-great grandfather and grandmother george jarvis came to america. before then, I only know where they were both from, but cannot find any records of living relitives around them. My wife has tried a few websites for info, but only seem to be information already provided to us. So where im at now is I would love to at least know and understand where my family is from, and even posibly see the land my family once stood on in England.

I just feel very lost, and my grandmother cannot supply anything I dont already know, and since no one is left.... I guess you can say I feel very alone.

James.

There is something you and all of us must remember. Life itself is terminal.

You must have courage; indeed, I believe you have. But we are all not long for this world, in terms of the small insignificant amount of time we are here.

In the time we all have left, we must try to be positive, and enjoy the beauty of things around us. Furs , football, horses, the sound of a bird singing or a brook babbling....every little and lovely thing. You naturally have to be more careful with how you seize each day, but seize it nevertheless. Enjoy every sensation. Better a day like this than a hundred years of not understanding the true nature of life.

It is admirable that you wish to trace your roots, maybe make contact with other family members. It is a painstaking activity though, and there are numerous dead ends....so be careful as it can be depressing.

Try ancestry.com, and check out the censuses....if you have full names and parishes, areas of birth....you can trace. If you get stuck pm me as my girlf did it and she has some experience of how to get past soem of the dead ends...we can get birth certificates in the UK from your ancestors etc....thye tell you parish of birth. They are a few dollars each....but its worth it.

In the meantimes James....be positive.

And wrap yourself in protection of furs so you dont bruise easily!!!!

It must be so difficult for you losing so many family members. Heartbreaking. But live now for them. And for your wife etc.

AND WELCOME BACK !!!!!!!

Jim... (if I may be so forward... is an aussie habit of using nicknames... Ain't it ToSser *grin*)

I am truly sorry to hear of the bad hand fate has dealt you in the past and in the last couple of years in particular. Genetics and fate can be right proper assholes at times. (I even heard a doctor tell my parents once that from a genetics point of view, they shouldn't have married.)

As for your request for assistance in searching out your family tree, I am afraid that I am as useful as a boil on ya butt. I do know that it is possible to gain said info though, as had an Aunt who did a similar thing and arranged for a family re-union in 1988.... on the 28th September, being the 150th anniversary of my Paternal great-great-great grandfather's arrival in Oz with his 8 kids.... and pregnant wife in tow *grin*. She had also traced back to the "old country" but passed away before she was able to complete her research. So all things are possible.

I hope that you will keep us posted on not only your research, but also remain in contact with us via this place as it is good to see Braaph reappear, even if under a pseudonym *grin*.

Wow, messages like this are so difficult.

Others here though have pretty much summed things up. Remember that you do have friends here. As always with these things, you need to look at the positive side. You do have a son to carry on for you. But I can not even imagine just how difficult that it must be for not only you right now but for your whole family. If we can help in any way let us know.

James, The one thing that I can tell you is that a lot of people here will be thinking of you.

White

Hey braahp. It's really sad to hear about all this. I'm not even sure there's anything more to say.. I mean.. I couldn't even begin to imagine how you must feel

What I can say though is that you'll always have this forum. And never forget that there are real people behind every nickname here.

We're thinking of you!

I hope you find what you're looking for. Sorry to say I can not help you with the case as I'm not from the UK

Keep on trucking bro

Hi Braahp,

You've probably already found these, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Photos of Oswestry:

http://www.oswestry.com/

http://www.oswestry-welshborders.org.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/history/2003/12/old_oswestry.shtml

http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/gallery/oswestry

http://www.freefoto.com/browse.jsp?id=1038-04-0

http://www.francisfrith.com/archive//Shropshire/Oswestry/

Potentially useful sites in tracing ancestry:

http://www.oswestry-history.co.uk/

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/library.nsf/open/FFAD4D758B3AAB2E80256CD2004AD81C

http://www.isbi.com/isbi-viewschool/1856-OSWESTRY_SCHOOL.html

You'll notice that the last two are a library and a school. My experience of people who work in libraries is that they like to help, so why not be a bit cheeky and ask? The school is old and posh; this almost guarantees that someone has done some research into the history recently.

All the very best in your search, and I truly hope you find what you're looking for.

I just wanted to send my sincere thoughts to you and your family and that my prayers are with you as you go on your quest.

Braahap - James - you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong - your family needs you.

FLinFL

James - I spotted new visitors to my Oswestry-History web site and so have had a look up of Jarvis family members in Oswestry.

The name appears to be quite common and there are several mentioned in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census. Some living in the centre of Oswestry were Hatters & others Felt makers.

If you could post a Christian name and approximate date of birth I could look up some more.

BTW - I am using ancestry.co.uk which offers a free 2 week trial with full search UK census records.

.....just been out to the local shop and see a new special publication "A Bird's Eye View of Oswestry & District". If you PM me your Postal Address I'll send you a copy.

James - I spotted new visitors to my Oswestry-History web site and so have had a look up of Jarvis family members in Oswestry.

The name appears to be quite common and there are several mentioned in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census. Some living in the centre of Oswestry were Hatters & others Felt makers.

If you could post a Christian name and approximate date of birth I could look up some more.

BTW - I am using ancestry.co.uk which offers a free 2 week trial with full search UK census records.

.....just been out to the local shop and see a new special publication "A Bird's Eye View of Oswestry & District". If you PM me your Postal Address I'll send you a copy.

thank you so mucn baldygo. I would lovea copy. I cant beleive i actually found someone who lives where my great * * * * grandfather came form. I wan t to post soem names here so maybe something maybe picked up:

The first name I came up with was

John Jarvis born 1823 Oswestry, Shropshire Eng.

his wife was possibly named Madison Payne. No known information

Their son George Edward Jarvis Born Oct 1 1850 in Oswestry

His wife: Charlotte Emmilie Davies Born june 19, 1850 born in Aberystwith, cardiff, Wales

Thank you all for the kind words and all the PMs. I knew after all the forums me and my wife had posted this on, this would be the one with the most and best information.

My address is as follows Baldygo

James Graham

18575 West Big Lake Blvd

Mount Vernon, Washington 98274

Thank you all so much, I cannot express how much your help and words are helping.

The first name I came up with was

John Jarvis born 1823 Oswestry, Shropshire Eng.

his wife was possibly named Madison Payne. No known information

Their son George Edward Jarvis Born Oct 1 1850 in Oswestry

His wife: Charlotte Emmilie Davies Born june 19, 1850 born in Aberystwith, cardiff, Wales

Not much luck so far. The only record I've found is Charlottes Birth Record in Aberystwyth. So you could request a Birth Certificate with her parents details shown.

So more questions

How did you get John Jarvis born 1823 Oswestry, Shropshire Eng.?

Is George Edward Jarvis Born Oct 1 1850 in Oswestry in the Family bible as such?

I can't find George Edward in the 1851 Census - did they emigrate before 1851?

When and where did George and Charlotte marry?

Madison Payne ? is that meant to be Madison christian name? ..or Madison-Payne surname?

I hope to have the pictures in the post on Monday.

Paul

Not much luck so far. The only record I've found is Charlottes Birth Record in Aberystwyth. So you could request a Birth Certificate with her parents details shown.

So more questions

How did you get John Jarvis born 1823 Oswestry, Shropshire Eng.?

Is George Edward Jarvis Born Oct 1 1850 in Oswestry in the Family bible as such?

I can't find George Edward in the 1851 Census - did they emigrate before 1851?

When and where did George and Charlotte marry?

Madison Payne ? is that meant to be Madison christian name? ..or Madison-Payne surname?

I hope to have the pictures in the post on Monday.

Paul

In a family tree done by my grandmothers neice some years back, the earliest member she could find was John Jarvis born in 1823. His wife Madison Payne was something she had come up with, but I dont know from where, and theres a question mark on it in the tree. George Edward Jarvis (His Son) migrated to the US in 1873 or 1874 with his wife Charlotte. They were married in March of 1872 in Wales. George Died July 27, 1902 in my home town of Sedro Woolley, and she died August 1914 in same town. They had quite a few children, but one was my great great Grandfather Fredrick Jarvis. And the rest we pretty much know. Its the before 1823 we cant find.

Thank you for the pictures, I look foward to seeing them.

I received your email, and my wife is collecting more info. She will be emailing you back soon... Thank you for the images.

• 6 months later...

HI baldlygo...as yet I have nothing to report re Brahhps request....was wondering if anyone had heard from him lately?

In the meantime...how do you enjoy the fur den Baldygo????

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am sorry for the delay in an update of my Husbands passing. Jim Passed away May 16, 2007 from an inlarged heart (Sufice to say he had a HUGE heart for those around him)

He spoke of all of you so often, and the joys he had from providing the pictures you all loved. I hope you all can enjoy life, and never regret anything you may or may not do in yours.

May god bless all of you and the enjoyment you provided Jim for these last 10 years.

We Love you Jim.

1010195smallwj0.th.jpg

This is very sad news. Your husband made a very positive impact in our community, Barbara, and we are deeply saddened at hearing this news. We will miss him, but please know that we will hold him in very fond memory. Please accept our sincere condolences.

Note to Members of The Fur Den, Moderators, Administrators and Website Owner -

On behalf of the Community, I have sent Barbara and her family a more formal conveyance of our feelings. You may, however, want to express your individual feelings here.