Air Travel with furs?

minkme

Okay so what I decided to do is call United Airlines to ask for their recommendation because this coat is just a little too large for me to improvise with on the day that I leave for the trip. So they said that taking the coats enormous bulk into consideration, they would recommend wearing it on the plane and if need be, I should take along a special contour hanger and hanging bag or garment bag to put the coat into a coat closet if it gets too warm to wear. But they would prefer for me to keep it with me at all times because they don't want to be held accountable if it gets lost, stolen or damaged.

I just flew first class to Chicago and even Alaska Air to Portland. Two different sized aircrafts, but ample room. You might think of zipping it in large fur bag without the hanger. You could then roll it up fairly tightly for under the seat, which is a pretty nice space (as we pout our dog carrier under there) or rolled in the overhead bin. There are sometimes smaller width bins that you might snag -- being in the early boarding group that could be yours alone. I'm sure heading to Alaska, if you should have it out on your lap, you'd have some pretty jealous passengers who'd love to be covered in that way. Do try to call the airlines.. it can't hurt.

I agree with calling the airlines to see if they have a coat closet for you. I am not sure if they have those anymore due to space limitations. It might get warm wearing it during your flight. If you have it on your lap, you have to be careful spilling your drink on it.

I agree with calling the airlines to see if they have a coat closet for you. I am not sure if they have those anymore due to space limitations. It might get warm wearing it during your flight. If you have it on your lap, you have to be careful spilling your drink on it.

I don't think that eating or drinking will be a concern. We have an early flight at 8:30 am but we have a layover in Denver, Colorado starting at around 9:40 am I believe and we don't have to board our next flight until 10:50 am so that gives me plenty of time to grab an early lunch at the airport on the way to our next flight which I believe is right down the hall in the next concourse of the airport. We then arrive in Anchorage around 4pm or so and dinner won't be a concern until after we get to our hotel.

Usually on a flight, they will ask you if you would like a soda, coffee, water and give you peanuts. That's what I mean by drinks.

Yes I know. I've done the whole air travel thing before. I was just saying earlier that I won't be eating or drinking on the plane because I'll have already taken care of that necessity on the ground

• 2 months later...

Panther, after seeing your incredible coat, I suggest bringing along one of those lightweight perforated fabric garment bags (you can get them at any furrier, I've gotten them free when paying for service) and sturdy hangers. Feel free to wear your coat in the airport, but then zip it into the garment bag (without the hanger) and carry it over your arm for security. You will probably need to put it through the x-ray machine. Then pull the hanger out of your carry on bag for the plane. And we all know that commercial planes -- even first class cabins -- are not the cleanest spaces to spend nine hours. This is probably the only way I would possibly consider flying with one of my big coats!

Have a fun trip! Looking forward to seeing whichever photos you want to share with the Den!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading for Vienna, Austria next Wednesday to attend the Ärzteball and the Jägerball, and on the plane I will be wearing a sheared mink stroller. I'll also be taking one of my full lengths along for the balls, probably my Canadian sable, but I will carry it in a garment bag which can be stored overhead. I don't like the idea of being separated from my fur by placing it in a checked bag. Too many things can go wrong.

• 2 months later...

We flew most of the way around the world awhile ago. we had 3 furs with us and brought them onboard with us. All in garment bags and stored in the over head locker, which we just claimed the whole thing for them. Worst part was spending 4 hours in Hong Kong at muggy 28c.

We were pleasantly surprised at how easy traveling with them was. Especially with our new golden island stroller that was purchased while on holiday -as we hadn't had a chance to enjoy it's full glory yet...

Very fortunate i think that someone else did not try to shove items in against your fur bag...happened to me once, and had to make major adjustments even in first class. Quite stressful, as such is not good for furs at all.

• 8 months later...

Are airlines going to have a problem with fur tote bags as on board carry on?? I wanted the bag to keep my fur acessories in and maybe my tablet to and power cables?

Not at all! I have a giant Ralph Lauren flannel tote bag (so it can breathe easily) and bring it with my carry on as my “personal” item. Fits perfectly under the seat.

I have six fights for my vacation starting on Monday, two trans-Atlantic, and plan on doing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. I ended up carrrying it on and took it out for a snuggly nap.

Best advice I ever got on here to buy fox for this trip. -35 degree effective temps and I was totally fine!!!! I couldn’t believe it.

Also the guy at airport security I in Svalbard wanted to steal my coat. I suspect an inner fur lover.

• 1 year later...

american TSA sends furs through thier scanners or no?? I wasnt sure if I needed to turn my fur coat inside or not to go through thier scanner bc I 

want to wear my fur onboard the airlines and as a blanket.... along with my fur purse with my personals..keys, wallet.. mobile phone and tablet...

As far as I know, a fur coat will be treated the same as any other coat when passing through a TSA checkpoint. Place it into a plastic bin and send it through an x-ray machine along with your other items. The x-ray shouldn't cause any problems with your fur items.

Thank you....I’d love to find a fur friend to take vacation with to CO state.. to Denver...I can’t ski, but I’d love to do some hiking in snow shoes in our furs and take nature pics with my dslr..

I always board the plane wearing my fur and then just keep it on my lap or put it between me and the seat. It does get a little warm but I don't want to fold it, or stuff it in my luggage..