nutria vs beaver

Guest manywonderfulfurs

Nutria is a highly overrated fur.

The guard hairs are spikey and coarse. The underfur does not compare with beaver underfur, softness-wise.

Beaver is a much better fur. Even its guard hairs are softer than nutria

Vince,

Older Nutria can be very spiky, as Beaver can be.

I have had several Nutria furs that I thought were very nice. Not certain if the difference in the quality of the pelts, or the finisher, but some are much nicer than others.

Linda

Apparently sheared Nutria is a whole other thing like it is with Beaver.

Hardly anything is finer than Sheared Beaver. Maybe Sheared Alaska Fur Seal. Just got a jacket lined with both recently and it's a toss up and I just won an Sheared Otter coat for the same purpose. My goal to own at least one of each.

Sheared Mink, Muskrat and Racoon are not in the same league. I'm reselling all of that I got.

I haven't had or touched sheared Nutria yet but others here have and one guy chose to have a jacket lined with it last year [in Holland I believe].

I got a Chinchilla hat for a sample and compared to some other furs I'm not highly motivated to get more. Certainly before Sable.

OFF

I have a dunhill cashmere coat for men with a natural brown sheared lining.

It isnt labelled, and I have had two furriers look at it...one said it was sheared beaver, the other nutria.

All I can tell you is there are sheared guard hairs visible but they are soft too. On a sheared beaver coat I have, there are no guard hairs visible....but it is dyed so that may explain why.

Anybody help?

I sold a coat for a lady last Fall that was just an incredible Nutria longhair with full fox collar.

It was not prickly and had a slicker feel than beaver. The underfur had a lower pile to it than Beaver, too. Beautiful natural shading. It was one of those WOW furs, without being ostentatious.

I did find one that Oliver Furs has listed that is similar in pelt appearance. No way the quality of the coat I sold. Wish I had saved a pictures.

This fur is very unique. Think anyone would love it. I hesitate to post ebay posts here. But, this one is to instruct, not promote, so I think I am OK.

Linda

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-NUTRIA-FOX-FUR-COAT-JACKET-HOOD-WOMEN-SZ-12_W0QQitemZ9314711010QQcategoryZ63862QQcmdZViewItem

Touch,

There are three very basic differences in sheared Beaver and Nutria.

One is sheen. Nutria has a duller sheen to it,

Second, it feels a little more "woolly" than Beaver, just not as soft or silky to the touch, and

Third, the pile is not as high as Beaver.

Linda

Linda;

That's the same basic difference between sheares Raccoon and Beaver.

Why I got rid of it and got another sheared Beaver and just yesterday a sheared Otter. Eager to see what it is like.

Have jackets waitig.

OFF

Linda (ReFur) sold me a gorgeous nutria jacket last year (thanks again, Linda!). Soft as anything and an absolute joy to wear.

Just my

I have not seen very many sheared nutria coats or jackets in the U.S. or Canada that are anything to write home about.

However, when I used to travel to Italy regularly on business I would frequently see great looking sheared nutria coats. The Italians seemed to treat it as a better fur that could be worked in a stylish fashion.

The pelts were always plusher and denser than those I saw in the U.S. I believe that this was due to their not stretching the skins as much when they were blocked for the pattern.

sf fur

• 11 years later...

American and South American nutria is quite different with South American, mostly Argentina, being finer and less dense. Sheared river otter is likely one of the softest of the three and wears the best (like iron) as far as strength. I like both better than Beaver unless the beaver is sheared AND plucked.

I have both beaver and nutria in the natural forms, and in my experience beaver is softer. This may be that the nutria i own is not of the highest quality, but i have always thought that beaver is a bit softer overall. I do not care much for sheared furs of any kind.

lynxette touched on a point that may need some clarification...

Most furs can tolerate some moisture so long as the moisture does NOT penetrate down to the leather. It should also be mentioned that if a fur gets moist, the excess moisture should be shaken off and the fur allowed to naturally air dry AWAY from any heat source.

If moisture is allowed to penetrate to the leather, it can cause the leather to shrink or stretch and change the shape of the garment - possibly ruining it..

Very well said sir, that is correct. I did not go into the details in my previous post as it was not the topic to hand, but it was good to expand that.

• 7 months later...

I have a floor length nutria that I picked up second hand a while ago for literally a steal, I was in a second hand shop dropping off clothing and saw it marked down to nothing, and asked why, they thought it was faux, and said that people here (NYC) hate fur so much no one would buy it, so I did. It's a robe style coat, oversized and so so soft. The guard hairs are long and shiny, like beaver, which is what I thought it was, but so soft. I had it cleaned, and no joke, wear it like a bathrobe around my apartment. Its like my very own floor length fur smoking jacket....

That being said, it was in brand new condition with tags on it, but who knows why the fur gods placed it there for me, I don't ask questions. My furrier checked it out, it was in great shape, the reason it could be softer is possibly that it's let out not full pelts. I don't know if that makes a difference on this type of fur, but I will continue watching tv on my couch in it now.