Amazing!! Fur Rondy Festival

billhenry1234

PETA had originally planned to come and protest this year. Unfortunately, it was too cold and they didn't have anything warm enough to wear!

c0906dde106053c54c42fc75549b40c5.jpg

I've wanted to go to this festival for years but I never can save up enough money to go. A ten day trip to Alaska easily costs about $10k between lodging, food and travel. Could even cost up to $35k-$40k if I were to buy some of the coats at their auctions or local fur salons in Downtown Anchorage.

PETA had originally planned to come and protest this year. Unfortunately, it was too cold and they didn't have anything warm enough to wear!

c0906dde106053c54c42fc75549b40c5.jpg

If I can afford to take a trip there I'm almost certain I'll be taking the train. I'd love to take the scenic route along the Rocky Mountains and the Canadian Alps. I bet the view is just breathtaking during that time of year.

As one who lived in Anchorage for 10 years, I think you might want to tone down your excitement a bit. While Anchorage is very fur friendly, other than festivals like Rondy one does not see much fur on the streets during the winter. Also the cost of living there is high due to almost all supplies and food having to be shipped in.

While Anchorage is very fur friendly, other than festivals like Rondy one does not see much fur on the streets during the winter.

That's sadly surprising. :/

Any idea why, AK?

While there are some Anchorage residents who wear fur frequently during the winter, they are a minority of the population. I think the cost of a good fur garment along with fur being less durable than non-fur outerwear is part of the answer. Also the fact that fur is generally not currently considered a fashion essential is another part of the answer.

I previously mentioned that Anchorage (and Alaska in general) is very fur friendly. That is due to the fact that historically you wore fur in the winter, or you froze to death. Most Alaskans respect the native cultures where wearing fur is more common than among the non-native population. This partially explains why the anti-fur crowd (who show up every year during Rondy) do not gain any traction among Alaskans.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Actually no, we decided to reschedule the trip for next year. My cousin just bought a new dog a few months ago and she has been having a lot of trouble house training it so she didn't feel comfortable leaving town before this dog had a chance to get adjusted to her new surroundings. This delay has proven to be a bit of a godsend though because it gave us time to build up our finances, buy some furs for the trip and we were able to accumulate more airline miles for the trip too. We have already booked our hotel rooms and we are still in the planning stages of the trip, but I can tell you that I am super excited to go. This trip is on my mind on an almost constant basis.

Wow, that's great advance planning! And tell me how you managed to build your finances whilst accumulating air miles and buying more furs?

I earn airline miles through my credit card. With every purchase I accumulate miles so the more I buy, the more I earn. And as far as buying these furs go, I admit it's a little setback to have to buy a custom made coat for myself and a used one for my cousin just to prepare for this trip, but I managed to make a deal with my parents: If they buy my custom coat, then any money I earn from the furs and various other items I sell on ebay will go into my vacation fund. Right now I have around $5,000 worth of items for sale as of this moment, so that should be plenty for the trip if I can sell everything.