Fate of the Den

neoJaguar

Hello all!

I truly hope you guys enjoy the site, and what it brings to the fur community. As the Den has been going strong for quite some time now it was my goal to take over for White Fox in his passing to keep it alive - to have a community that caters to all walks of fur lovers, and their passion.

Some of you do not like me, and that is perfectly fine. Some of you prefer the Fur Fashion Guide over us, and that's perfectly fine too. I get the nostalgia part of it. Some have left, and never returned even with it's departure yet again even with the Den still standing. That's their choice, and I fully respect that.

With all of that being said - This is going to be the last year of my service to the Den/Melody. Ad revenue is barely keeping the site afloat, and I do not have the time nor resources to keep it alive. I had more upgrades for the chat system, and site in mind - but I just don't have the funds, or time (again) to get it set up.

I will leave it to this - If there is anyone out there who is interested in picking up the site near the end of this renewal please reach out to me. I've offered to give it all over to AKCoyote, but I know his time is very limited as well. I couldn't get moderators to stay here so I know asking for a new owner is going to be a bit of a stretch.

I won't be renewing any sponsors, or taking anymore donations for the site. If someone wants to drop my wife a new fur to model then I might be swayed. Also I'm kidding. Maybe.

It's been real the last couple years, and I'm glad I got to keep the community alive a bit longer for everyone to enjoy. Who knows I might change my mind in six months, but it's unlikely. My new job is keeping me really busy, and if I get this promotion then my time will be gone completely.

Have a good one everyone. May you all live long, and prosper. I hope for the best for you all.

-neo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neoJaguar

• lynxette

• AKcoyote

• fourrureclub

Wow!

I get it though. It's a huge undertaking. Hell, I even got tired of being a mod. Being a regular member is much more liberating.

Anywho, I'm sure AK doesn't want to take over, so I hope the Den finds someone that is indeed willing to do so, and do the job justice at that.

Best of luck in your pursuits, neo! Thank you for all of your service. " title="Applause" />

(P.S. I can't imagine people would leave, what with FFG having been down for months now and showing no signs of resuscitation.)

Edited by Guest

Hell, I even got tired of being a mod.

Yeah,you should get paid for that work.

If only. All the money that is earned on the site goes right back into it. Ads don't generate much for us sadly.

Thanks Neo for offering to let me take over as owner, but I must refuse. I do not have the time, talent, or resources to do a proper job as owner. In fact, I have wanted to lose admin privileges and just be a regular member for some time. If the site(s) must die, so be it although it will be a bit sad. The Den has had an 11 year run as an independent website which is rather long for a site of this type.

Everyone:

If you would like to see this site continue and are willing to put in the effort to make that happen, please contact neojaguar.

Interesting thoughts and questions, believe me as a founder of FourrureClub which is up since year 2000, I myself asked me that question quite often. Today things are clear for me and FourrureClub (kind of a Frankenstein complex, when the creature you made takes too much energy / time / money / power etc.).

Despite I've every skills to take care of TFD I can't apply for it as I already have quite a big forum & blog to maintain. Maybe my testimonial can tells how, as a webaster, I deal with that job. Just as you I have a regular job and have to deal with my website outside of that time, whih takes some of my personnal free time. I also have to pay some money for a good quality website hosting, I've let down the idea of paid advertising as it lead to really ridiculous amounts. I prefered to focus on creating a blog with (I hope) interesting posts about fur, and link that to simple paying tutos answering to most asked questions. There was the other meaning for FourrureClub to exist. Not only it was an online community through its forum, but also a platform to inform people that knows nothing about fur. I'll soon open an english section for my blog in order to also help english speaking people about fur.

I clearly understand what says neoJaguar, it's nearly impossible to lead an online community as soon as it takes much of your time and energy, and moreover if the website doesn't other means than gathering people online... Forums users wait for you to deal with everything, sometimes without sending a single message in years, and when it's too late and you're about to give up, they appear.... I know that, dealing with a website and particularly an online community, is a matter of being the only one to lead that big boat on your own...

Thanks for being a great admin here. I've gone through a few different accounts here for the sake of continued anonymity, but I've been around a while. You did an amazing job with the den.

If no one steps up, what do we do? Migrate to a private subreddit?

Sounds like a tempting gig. But I know absolutely nothing about phpBB or html to run a place like this. Plus I just started a new full time job at Macy's and that should take up all my time for the foreseeable future.

I salute you all and thank you for providing us this wonderful space. If this is the end, I'm sorry that we're parting ways.

Peace and long life.

Unfortunately I also don't know anything about the technical side of running a website. Many thanks for all the effort in keeping it going for so long. Hopefully we can find a solution.

Is there any way the Den could continue on something like Facebook, where the infrastructure is already in place?

On Panther's good news, congratulations on the new job. Any chance it's in Macy's Manhattan Fur Vault?

Is there any way the Den could continue on something like Facebook, where the infrastructure is already in place?
Setting up a Facebook page has been discussed previously as a way to expose the Den to a wider audience. As I do not use Facebook or most other "social" media, I cannot properly comment on that being a possible solution for the community. In any event, it would require someone (or a group) to monitor the page and cleanup the spam and peta postings.

The main issue is finding someone with the time and talent to setup AND maintain a web presence for the community to discuss our love of fur..

On Panther's good news, congratulations on the new job. Any chance it's in Macy's Manhattan Fur Vault?

No. I work in menswear and I don't live in New York. But this is just a temporary stopgap. I hope to land a job at the fur vault before the next calendar year is over. The hiring committee that looked my resume seemed impressed enough with the fact that I've sold furs on eBay as an independent merchant for the last 7 years, but there were no jobs in the fur department available at my current sector so they just stuck me in a random division and they'll likely keep me there until I've had the chance to prove myself.

No. I work in menswear and I don't live in New York. But this is just a temporary stopgap. I hope to land a job at the fur vault before the next calendar year is over. The hiring committee that looked my resume seemed impressed enough with the fact that I've sold furs on eBay as an independent merchant for the last 7 years, but there were no jobs in the fur department available at my current sector so they just stuck me in a random division and they'll likely keep me there until I've had the chance to prove myself.

Good luck!

Im not trying to volunteer anyone elses site, but would the "Furcreamer" site work for the "FurFun" section of this site, or possibly a Yahoo site?

First, congratulations with your new job, neo. Secondly, thank you for your work at The Fur Den. I would be interested in the job but I am always busy with other things.

I do have a question: In the case that the site dies, and hopefully it will not, would you consider archiving it?

I do have a question: In the case that the site dies, and hopefully it will not, would you consider archiving it?
I can't answer for neojaguar, but I will ask "What type of archive are you considering?" If you are talking about an online static site, that would cost for both domain registration and hosting which makes it not at all feasible - remember the main reason for neo having set a date for the site to end is financial.

Wow, I am truly sorry that the Den has not prospered the way we all would want it to be. It has been so many wonderful years in the Den, so many memories... We have lost so many good friends, WhiteFox, JGalanos to name a few. I hope it will continue to be a warm meeting place for us fur lovers for many more years to come.

This is sad news indeed. I've not been very active these past few months, but it was always nice to come back and look at the posts.

Thank you for all your effort you put into this. I really hope someone can step in your shoes, I'll miss site a lot.