Could a man wear this?

FoxCanMan

Love this coat...would wear it myself, but that is not answering your question as I am a lady. I think you could wear it as as gentleman, but it is sort of on the edge so to say, due to the fluffiness, style, and light colouring. The sleeve style is generous, but not too drippy. The hood makes it good casual for jeans, khakis, etc. How confident are you in your masculinity? That is a question only you can answer for yourself, as these statements are my observations based on my own biases. I tend to think that a coyote or wolf parka is a really great coat for a man, but that texture may not appeal to you. A dark silver fox without the banded sleeves can work well too. Hope I have helped and not added to your questions.

you should pay attention to the sleeve and body length, if it would fit your body. other than that, isn't too feminine design, it could work nice as a sporty jacket

Initial reaction was no, way too femme. But after looking closely, I think a guy could wear it in many places. Upscale area, wearing nice jeans & boots. Right place in confidence. Good luck & enjoy.

Thank you all for your feedback. I had similar thoughts myself, I've been attracted to Zimmafurs since someone suggested them to me. The prices are certainly a plus! Also, if anyone knows of any other online shops with good prices feel free to PM me.

The sleeves are a bit wide and the sweep nicely extended, but yes. Go for it. Laced boots, jeans and perhaps a flannel shirt or dark sweater will make it work.

Thats one awesome fox... I used to wear my full length red fox all the time.. unfortunately its developed two large rips mid back that are unrepairable... I miss that coat outside.. nice collar, cuffs... now its just an indoors coat... although I did get a size 20ish used beaver fur coat over summer that fits OVER the fox

Speaking for myself.. I think anything coyote or wolf works for men... except maybe chevron cut coyote..never did like that... red, silver, black fox, beaver and anything raccoon works...

Just out of curiosity, how do you know they could not be repaired? Did you have the coat cleaned and stored at least every other year, or ideally yearly, so as to preserve the pelts? Because really, a fur coat that is conditioned and maintained fully should always be repairable, except perhaps for too much wear to the guard hairs, but even than a section can be matched and replaced at nominal cost.

There are 2 large splits mid back... I brought it to the furrier last year and he took his fingers and picked a piece right off the pelt... I guess I could always try a different shop and see if its repairable...

Yes, I gathered as much, but my main point was that if a fur is cleaned and conditioned annually this will not happen. I was wondering what his care regimine was, or was the coat very old and possibly uncared for when he got it.

Hey Lynxette, yes it was an older coat... one of those 80s power furs when downtown Winnipeg used to be loaded with furriers.. like 4 within walking distance from one another... sigh.. those days are gone now, and now theres one grumpy guy in the exchange district, and the Bay downtown... The coat was probably already at least 20 years old when I got it...

Got it. Thanks for the info. It is just that so many people who own furs are unaware of the importance of maintaining them properly, and what the consequences are if they do not. I have many coats that are quite old, but I have taken care of them diligently, and the leather is very fresh and supple. This takes dedication, and of course the money must be available to be spent for this purpose, which for many reasons may not be the case. No criticism intended btw.

Ohh no problem at all!!! I get alot of my coats used from local ads, and it is a "crap shoot" so to say on what you are getting... I can tell from the label on the coat roughly how old the coat is... like I said downtown Winnipeg.. if I see one of those labels.. you know its gotta be 20+ years old, and in most cases like you said, not taken care of.. aka I stored it in a bag all summer... heard that one before... Buying the long hair used coats is the most difficult because you have to inspect EVERYTHING... bought a FL silver fox and a FL coyote, did what I thought was a full inspection, but then got home and found a lateral split high in the back of the silver fox, which was easily repaired, and found a vertical split in the coyote in all places by the end of the arm.. usually never see splits there... and now unfortunately I found a small tear in my coyote parka right where ya sit on it... I usually make a habit with the parkas to push em up a bit when I sit knowing the coat all bunches there and is short adding stress....

I was interested in purchasing that same coat a couple months ago but I couldn't get a response to my inquiries. Maybe business is too good or there's a language barrier. Let us know if you have better luck.

While I agree with Lynxette that proper maintenance of a fur is very important, the info I have received is that eventually any fur will dry out to the point that the leather of the pelt will start to fall apart.

Of course nothing lasts forever, but maintenance is so often neglected and greatly shortens life. I have been in furriers when people come in with major repairs, and when they are asked when the coat was last cleaned they reply never, I hardly wore it. They are than told that the coat is beyond repair due to the mealiness of the skins, which of course upsets them, but it is a fact that if you choose not to take care of something bad results will occur. I think many people simply do not understand that cleaning is really for the conditioning of the leather, dirt is secondary.

We are getting quite distracted from the original question of this topic, but I have one more comment relative to the durability issue:

Many modern fur garments will not last as long as vintage fur garments for the simple reason that many tanners are fleshing (scraping) the pelts much thinner than formerly was the case. This is done to reduce the weight of the finished garment, but it also allows the oils that keep the pelts flexible to evaporate much faster. And it is the loss of the oils from the leather that makes pelts stiff and brittle. Unfortunately I am unaware of any process for adding oils to the leather of pelts in a finished garment.

Very true and valid point AKcoyote. This is because so many women especially want to have no weight to what they are wearing. Also true we are way off topic.

I was interested in purchasing that same coat a couple months ago but I couldn't get a response to my inquiries. Maybe business is too good or there's a language barrier. Let us know if you have better luck.

For those who were wondering:

I have been trying to contact the shop owner in recent days with a couple of questions, but I have received no response. I even tried translating my message into Russian. Perhaps she's a little shy about international orders, or there's a language barrier as ophi suggested. It's too bad, because I actually wanted to buy that coat.

This is obviously a woman's fur coat and a very nice one at that. A Man could wear this coat but he would have to be very confident about himself and not be concerned about what other people think. It's a gorgeous fur and if someone gave it to me, I would definitely wear it. Dougy.