Content unavailable

Guest CAPITALISTIC BLONDE

This is getting off-topic, so I suggest those wishing help with identifying other furs start a new topic.

Shadow fox is basically a pure white fur with a few of the guard hairs having black tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Not certain this is Russian lynx. Looks more like cat lynx to me. Not as soft looking as Russian would be. Colouring is sort of right though. Definitely not Canadian.

What they call a fur on a television program is hardly reliable. Most people in the industry have no idea what they are looking at, to the point of calling real furs fake. And no, it is not directly descended from Russian, although the two are related of course as they are lynx. Yes, the Russian has longer guard hairs in certain varieties.

It is not the matter of over the top...it doesn't matter in terms of identifying furs correctly Capitalistic Blonde. Place reliance on what you see, your knowledge of furs personally built over time, not what others say in the end using other evidence. I cannot tell how many times people insist that a blue fox is a silver fox on eBay for example, because they have no idea what they are talking about. All of your points are interesting but not critical in this process of fur identification. Perhaps it is a Russian lynx, but not because of who they are, or how much money they spent, etc. A large budget may simply mean they paid too much for things. Money is not everything in the fur business or anything else in life....a factor yes, but not the end game.

What they call a fur on a television program is hardly reliable. Most people in the industry have no idea what they are looking at, to the point of calling real furs fake.

Even more if the source resolution is as low as it was in this era. I remember Glenn Close's fur coats from 101 and 102 dalmatians looking like fox in the VHS, but recently as I saw higher resolution pictures of the making of, it was fake fur. Undeniably a good mimic, but fake nonetheless. You wouldn't believe how many details are lost because of the low res.

Thank you for the interesting additional valid point. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell, which is my point regarding any photo identification. It is out of context as well of course.

Now to me, these pics are of a beautiful cat lynx. Might be a Russian cat lynx, but cat lynx nonetheless. My vision of Russian lynx is much fuller and fluffier like the one on Anna Nichole. Perhaps my conception is too narrowly defined and we are talking past each other. I still hold that money or reputation does not an accurate fur identification make.

Good question...me too. Lynx is of course my favourite fur, hence my nickname. It is so sort, thick and warm, but very lightweight compared to fox or coyote.

• 10 months later...
4 types of Lynx (and their subspecies) in the world:

Eurasian Lynx (Lynx Lynx)

Iberian Lynx (Lynx Pardinus)

Canadian Lynx (Lynx Canadensis)

American Lynx (Lynx Rufus)

Eurasian Lynx includes Russian Lynx and is from areas of Europe, Sibera et al.

Iberian Lynx is nearly extinct and is in the areas of Spain, Italy et al.

American Lynx is descendant of the Eurasian Lynx which migrated into the USA from Russia. (This explains why American Lynx and Russian Lynx share so much similarity in coloring and markings. American Lynx looks like Russian Lynx except the fur is not as long.)

Canadian Lynx is descendant of the Eurasian Lynx which migrated into North America from Asia. From what I understand the Canadian Lynx only has spots on its belly, and the white of the Canadian Lynx is a creamy white, not as pure white as Russian and American.

Montana Lynx & Alaskan Lynx as far as I understand can be American Lynx OR Canadian Lynx. I think it is more white than Lynx in other areas of the USA. Anyone know about this?

A correction and some clarification:

The Iberian lynx only lives in Spain, not Italy. It is possibly extinct in Portugal.

American lynx refers to bobcat. The bobcat is found in many US states and some Canadian provinces as well as parts of Mexico. Western bobcats have the best fur (Rocky Mountains and points west). Western also includes British Columbia where the bobcats tend to have beautiful pale orange fur.

Montana lynx refers to bobcats that come from the Rocky Mountains, usually Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. These three states probably have the very best bobcats in terms of fur quality. Alaska lynx refers to Canadian lynx that live in Alaska.