Picky store clerks

paul2809

This is a simple question, not wanting any kind of debate here.

What is the best method of dealing with picky workers who will not sell used furs to men??

I ask bc ive gone into thrift stores/ladies boutiques and have run across pretty rude service as to guys like me as in a complete refusal to sell any kind of fur?

Isnt this against american law to un justly deny the sale of fur period?

Topic moved from Fur Mall as it is a general question.

While I doubt there is any violation of law in the case described, it is definitely rude and improper behavior. Personally, I would ask to speak to the manager and ask the manager if they are in business to sell goods or to act like idiots.

You think it's against the law for a store clerk to not sell you a fur? Dude...come on...The phrase "The customer is always right" doesn't automatically grant you rights at the counter. It's just a business model; and one that is sometimes not the universal standard.

No one on this planet is obligated to give you anything and stop taking everything so personally. You should know better.

I totally disagree Panther, I would to the same as AKcoyote said talk to the manager. not saying the customer is ALWAYS right, but in this case he is.

You think it's against the law for a store clerk to not sell you a fur? Dude...come on...The phrase "The customer is always right" doesn't automatically grant you rights at the counter. It's just a business model; and one that is sometimes not the universal standard.

No one on this planet is obligated to give you anything and stop taking everything so personally. You should know better.

Hahaha yeah! What he said and don't dress like a bum, then visit a store.

Checked a couple of sources and this is based on U.S. laws:

Can business owners really refuse service to anyone? Under federal anti-discrimination laws, businesses can refuse service to any person for any reason, unless the business is discriminating against a protected class. At the national level, protected classes include: Race or color.

So unless the refusal was based on these types then yes, they can refuse service.

Legal zoom goes into a little more detail:

The entire United States is covered by the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination by privately owned places of public accommodation on the basis of race, color, religion or national origin.

So again since it’s on the basis of gender from what you described, they still can refuse.

Likely they’ve had bad experiences in the past and highly it’s not necessarily you.

Sounds like you are just running into people who are of the opinion that men should not cross dress, and do not want that clientele in their store. If the coats are women's coats that you are asking to try on, I would bet this is the case. They have no idea that a guy might just want a fur coat to have a fur coat, and since there are so few men's furs out there in retail, this is the only option. Simple shortsightedness. I can understand the premise, but the conclusion should not be jumped to. Not sure there is any real legal option, a bit extreme I think. Try explaining if you want, otherwise this is a fact of life you may need to deal with.

There are Cities where it is against the law to sell furs. San Francisco is hoping to be one of those Cities. I think Lynxette might be right. Tell the clerk what you want. or say you are looking for a fur for your wife or something. If you have the money, I do not think they will turn your down with you show them the money?

True, but people are still beings with scruples, and that can take the place of pure capitalism, especially if, rightly or wrongly, the proprietor sees the customer as a threat in some way to the majority of other customers that will ultimately lose business. They may be wrong, and it may not be PC, but reality rarely ever is PC.

LynxEtt.

I walked into a furrier in San antonio, Tx and wanted to purchase a 2x full lenght mahogony mink coat and the sales rep turned me down for selling the fur to me just because I am a guy and said quote un quote that 'we can only sell to women'.. And not guys...

I wanted the used mahogony mink for me..

I walked out in disgust and never returned..

I am very sorry to hear that, but as I have been saying, it does not surprise me. I have actual experience with store owners/clerks who have said they are worried about what I noted above. It is reality, perhaps with some merit, but that would be impossible to measure. I am not at all opposed to men wearing furs, but believe they should be of men's style and design. Type of fur doesn't matter. I am also very much aware that women's furs are of course much more readily available and often bigger and fluffier, which may be what a guy who is not trying to cross dress is looking for. It is a thorny issue.

Yes, I heard Hollywood is one such place, and Aspen Colorado attempted it, but was thankfully turned back.

It's ironic with how Hollywood furthered the exposure of fur in movies from the 1930s-80s that they would now outlaw fur sales, isnt it?

LynxEtt.

I walked into a furrier in San antonio, Tx and wanted to purchase a 2x full lenght mahogony mink coat and the sales rep turned me down for selling the fur to me just because I am a guy and said quote un quote that 'we can only sell to women'.. And not guys...

I wanted the used mahogony mink for me..

I walked out in disgust and never returned..

I solved it asking for a female friend buy it for me. The only thing we can't cheat in this life is death after all :v

Please remember, I am not making a judgement about the right or wrong of the clerk not selling, just trying to explain the possible reasons why. Having a friend buy may be an approach to take if you know exactly what you want before hand.

Oh sure, this is more a last resource choice. You can't force nobody to sell you things, but there are no written rule about you sending someone to buy for you, althought it involves a really high level of trust.

In my case I was desperated (and my friend were bigger than me)