It's Rondy time in Anchorage, Alaska!

Joe

The annual Fur Rendezvous ("Rondy") is on!

You might see a familiar face...er...coat...pop up in these images! At least one of us is enjoying themselves at the Rondy, Grand Parade, Auction, and the starting line of the Iditarod 2018. Weather permitting, this could be the best place to have a little rendezvous of our own.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/furrondy/

Have fun!

J.

• Like 1

I'm going to throw subtlety to the winds and just ask:

That you, Panther10?

Yes it is! That is indeed my cousin and I! We have been inundated with compliments and praise on the Furs we brought with us to the Rondy this year from both locals and other tourists alike. This trip has simply been amazing. We saw the parade, the sled dog runs, we visited the auction, saw the fireworks, watched the Melodrama and visited a couple of fur salons. We are looking forward to seeing what else Anchorage has to offer during the rest of the week and we even have plans to go up to Fairbanks next weekend to see the northern lights. But so far I love this town. This has been the most incredible experience of my life. We are already itching to come back and we’re still here for another week!

Fantastic coat and great to see you rocking it in Anchorage! You will go down in folklore over there!

Are there many people wearing furs at the Rondy, other yourselves and the people in the parades?

Fantastic coat and great to see you rocking it in Anchorage! You will go down in folklore over there!

Are there many people wearing furs at the Rondy, other yourselves and the people in the parades?

Yeah we have seen at least 200 other spectators clad in fur jackets or hats during that initial weekend of the Rondy but it has tapered off significantly now that everyone has returned to work

It will be a totally different feel this upcoming weekend when all the Outsiders come in for the Iditarod start. I always enjoy the first weekend much more than the second for that reason.

We actually won’t be here for the Iditarod ceremonial start next weekend. We were able to get those tickets to Fairbanks after all but the weekend we decided to go was this coming Saturday since the aurora winter train only had select dates that it was coming in and leaving. We are only there for 24 hours but it will be worth it if we can see the northern lights (which we have been told that there is a very significant chance of seeing them this time of year) so unfortunately we will not see the Iditarod this year but if we are lucky, we might be able to come back next again some time again soon in the near future and see the Iditarod then.

WOW!! Looks so nice your coat and spesial outside in snow and cold. Must be many that have been impress of such big fox coat. Must have been great to enter fur salons in that coat. Love your coat

Been quite enamored with the current Miss Rodeo Alaska!

@missrodeoalaska

Yes! I've seen those too!

That you, Panther10?

Yes it is! That is indeed my cousin and I! We have been inundated with compliments and praise on the Furs we brought with us to the Rondy this year from both locals and other tourists alike. This trip has simply been amazing. We saw the parade, the sled dog runs, we visited the auction, saw the fireworks, watched the Melodrama and visited a couple of fur salons. We are looking forward to seeing what else Anchorage has to offer during the rest of the week and we even have plans to go up to Fairbanks next weekend to see the northern lights. But so far I love this town. This has been the most incredible experience of my life. We are already itching to come back and we’re still here for another week!

Panther10, how was your air travel with the furs? Any issues?

That you, Panther10?

Panther10, how was your air travel with the furs? Any issues?

None whatsoever. We were able to board the plane with them and stick them in a coat closet but not sure how things are going to play out on the trip back home. We just have to wait and see

Did you bring multiple furs, or just the ones pictured?

I brought a couple of extra hats with me but I only have one fur coat here and so does my cousin

Thank you...it is simply a fabulous coat. I always try to rtrvel for any length of time with a few more than just one fur coat, which is why i was asking.

Panther10, That is great that your plane had a coat closet to store your fox coats and that it was a non issue. Hopefully you have the same luck going home. I would think that in Alaska, you would see many men and women wearing furs?

Lynxette, That's neat to be able to travel with more than just one fur coat. I suppose that is the case in the summer? The airlines must see you coming...more baggage fees.

No, that is year round, and depends upon which class one flies in, as well as airline. Southwest allows 2 bags for example, one for furs, the other for all else. Even Canadian airlines vary, but if I have to pay I do...furs are essential.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Is the rondy festival expensive to goto? As far as flights to and from san antonio to anchorage alaska?
Depends on what is expensive for you and your budget.

Hotel rooms are cheaper as it is the "off season". As to flights, check your favorite booking site or the airline sites. I suggest booking early as airlines tend to raise fares around busy times such as holidays.