Sad Day

lynxette

Oh wow, I hadn't even heard of this. That's disgusting. Off topic, but one of my big pet peeves right now is when people, especially gentrifying populations, use architecture or other means like this to make public spaces less public and more unwelcoming to homeless people. It really does make their fur ban look even more like empty virtue signaling. They'll tout the fur ban as a sign that they're progressive while implementing or allowing to flourish horrible anti-public spaces initiatives such as this dumb robot or anti-working class policies to "sanitize" the city, robbing it of any charm.

Banning fur what a preposterous suggesting tell what should be banned the priority of the animals well been over preserving their pelts quality to the highest standard, and in a radius of one mile of all furrier's P.E.T.A and their scum hangers on should be banned and five miles from elite establishment's that provide the elite with their high quality furs . Russian sable, Billie lynx's, and chinchilla.

Sorry, but would it be possible for you to restate your last post luxurysable? I am having trouble following what you are trying to convey, and perhaps others are as well. Thanks!

Whatever the fur industry say about booming or healthy world wide fur sales, is is quite evident to me that in the Western world, they are losing the battle with animal rights when it comes to the reality of fur on the streets.

I've been up to London 3 or 4 times this winter on pretty cold days, some very cold, and this is the first year EVER that I haven't seen any fur coats on the street. No fur garments of any sort in fact other that the standard fur trimmed hoods, most of which are now fake. I haven't seen any fur at all in provincial towns for many years now. If fur is being bought. it is by the wealthy who are wearing it to wealthy functions that most people never see.

My wife will no longer wore her fur coats in public at all this year because she says she feels she feels uncomfortable when no one else is wearing fur, and that she sticks out like a sore thumb, and I have to agree with her, she does. There is no one else wearing it.

So the reality is this. What is the incentive for ANYONE to buy a fur coat (I'm talking for every day wear by people who are not wealthy. They never see anyone wearing it, the never see user friendly fur shops anymore. (not like the 70's/80/s when in London there were several casual fur all ovwer London and other towns shops where you could just go in and browse at ease.

Fur shops are now few and far between. And when you find one it gives off the air of wealth. the door is usually locked and has to be opened for you, and then an over smart sales person follows you around either trying too hard to sell to you, or preventing you browsing at leisure.

To buy casual fur coats, which young people can afford and would no doubt like to wear , (coney coats, cheaper foxes etc.) you have to go on ebay, but where is the incentive for people to do that when they never see anyone else wearing fur.

If you google "fur" and then click the "news" button it is pretty well all links to anti fur articles in the media, PETA successes, countries/states talking about banning fur farms.

The fur "atmosphere" is nearly 100 % negative, everyone (even my daughter, whos has grown up with furs being around) believing all the Peta lies and fact bending because this is all anyone ever sees, so everyone assumes it must all true and that fur is bad. The average person in the street is unlikely to find their way to the truth put out by the fur trade. What incentive do they have to go to sites like "fur is green" or "the truth about fur". They should just be interested in buying a nice warm fur coat, not having to go to to websites first to immerse themselves in the ethics of fur.

The fur industry has lost because they have lost the high ground where people can see their positive message. They have lost the retail shops where people can go in and buy cheaper fur coats with ease on a more limited budget. They are being kept alive by the more wealthy who can and do buy more glamorous furs which just feed all the negatives put out by PETA regarding opulence and extravagance.

It is the hundreds of girls you would see on Oxford Street London on any day in the 70's and 80's sporting fun cheaper furs and loving them who have now become the wealthy buyers of today as they come into more money. There are no young today doing the same thing, so 20 years from now, who in the West are going to be wearing more luxurious furs on a regular basis. My wife did up to a couple of years ago, but she doesn't now.

So, it make me very sad to say it, but with the announcement of ever more bans on farms or retail, constantly hitting the news almost weekly, the fur industry have pretty well completely lost the battle in the West. They are down and struggling, and they are going to have to change their tactics drastically if they are ever going to make the public (and politicians) see fur as a desirable commodity that anyone can and should buy.

If the industry thinks fur is doing well because wealthy people in Russia and China and other parts of the world are buying fur, then they need to open their eyes and take action now. Peta and animal rights started a cancer that is now spreading quite rapidly through the West and will one day spread to the East too. A couple of years ago it was thought that the Young were getting fed up with being dictated to by the likes of PETA. That may have been true, it may still be true, but the reality is that people are still not buying fur for regular use.

If the fur industry wants a future then they need to look at the reality of fur on the streets not the dollar figures they find on their spread sheets.

Sadly I don't think now I will live long enough to ever see people wearing and enjoying their fur coats, stoles and boleros again on the streets.

So True Ravens 8. We had some cold days here in San Francisco this year. Cold days the last couple of years. Usually in those cold days, I might be able to see one or two ladies wearing their mink coats downtown in the Union Square fashion shopping district. Its been a number of years now and its nothing. Around Christmas, I did see one lady wearing her full length mink coat and her daughter with a fox jacket going to the Nutcracker. So not even a cold day in San Francisco brings out fur, only maybe one or two to special events if you're lucky.

My wife will no longer wore her fur coats in public at all this year because she says she feels she feels uncomfortable when no one else is wearing fur, and that she sticks out like a sore thumb, and I have to agree with her, she does. There is no one else wearing it.

Sorry, but this is something that whilst i know it exists for many other women, i can never really understand nor accept. Who cares what other people are doing or thinking? If i worried about that, I would never be able to wear any of my furs whilst waiting around for other people to give me permission so to say. I am not criticizing, just making an observation. This is a large part of the problem in your very thoughtful post...too many people waiting around for others to do something first, and feeling that they can't or shouldn't. This is how the PETAphiles win, through intimidating people into conforming. We fur lovers must not submit to this blackmail.

The fur "atmosphere" is nearly 100 % negative, everyone (even my daughter, whos has grown up with furs being around) believing all the Peta lies and fact bending because this is all anyone ever sees, so everyone assumes it must all true and that fur is bad. The average person in the street is unlikely to find their way to the truth put out by the fur trade. What incentive do they have to go to sites like "fur is green" or "the truth about fur". They should just be interested in buying a nice warm fur coat, not having to go to to websites first to immerse themselves in the ethics of fur.

I would say young people are into fur nowadays. But young people are not the decision-makers.

I have seen several young ladies wearing real and fake fur coats/jackets/wests this winter. This was also fuelled by cheap real fox wests (with just some stripes of fox, mabe not a even a single pelt in total, but hey, it's fur at least). The best is, this also happenend in the "German San Francisco"-town known for its liberal and green lifestyle.

Why doesn't SF think further ahead? How about banning leather? And meat? And milk? I'd love to see the city council taking these logical steps.

I get way more positive comments on my fur parka than negative on the streets. Probably about 10 to 1 and the 1 are never right to my face. Most antis are betas at heart. Lol

I think you see a bit less fur out there because young people tend to buy other things first. I still plan to wear fur out and around even being trans...yea I'll stand out but whatever. Isn't that kinda the point?

Sorry, but this is something that whilst i know it exists for many other women, i can never really understand nor accept.

But that is because you are PASSIONATE about fur Lynxette (nothing wrong with that). However most people are not, and why should anyone expect them to be? To most people fur is nice to touch, warm to wear, makes them feel good about themselves, and all the other reasons that makes fur nice to wear. However it is not necessarily a passion to them.

It is an aspect of human nature, (Like it or not), to conform. If you Stick you head above the parapet it is more likely to get shot at. It is therefore only people who are passionate about something. or who strongly believe in something who are prepared to stand out from the crowd. Although we, in this group, might be passionate about fur, we can't expect everybody to be so. It would be nice nevertheless for us, and for the fur industry, for fur retailers etc, if fur was accepted much more for what it is, to be accepted as a lovely and comfortable thing to wear. You don't have to be passionate about something to get a lot of pleasure, comfort or enjoyment out of it.

If all people see these days are negative comments about fur, and the false impression that this creates is then backed up by their experience of never seeing anyone else wearing fur on the streets, then they too are going to go with the stream.

As with most things, fur appreciation is divided into three states. Fur lovers, fur haters, and the huge mass in the middle who aren't passionate either way but will be swayed by the arguments and actions of the other two states.

In this respect, whilst the fur industry, with their web pages, press releases and so forth are largely being noticed by the already fur appreciators, The fur haters are maintaining a far wider presence and profile because they shout out their message

The animal rights groups and fur haters are not just talking amongst themselves "Isn't fur terrible, we hate fur" they are actually going out and telling EVERYONE.

The fur industry is not telling everyone, it is only talking to those who already have an interest in fur.

Ask anyone in the street if they have heard of Animal rights and Peta, then ask them what they know about NAFA, "Truth about Fur", The International Fur Federation etc.

If I Google "fur organisations", the International anti fur coalition, and the Coalition to abolish the fur trade come up in the list before the International Fur federation. (there is no mention of other fur trade groups on page one). If I then scroll down to the bottom it says "Searches related to fur organisations". It then lists 8 topics, ONE of which is "Fur trade UK", the other 7 all start with the words "Anti fur"

I realise that my google may have biased my search towards pages I have clicked on in the past, but this is my point. Most people who might consider wearing fur aren't passionate enough to even bother to do Google searches. They will just react to what they see and hear around them.

In this respect, they don't see people wearing fur, they don't see fur retailers on the high streets inviting them in offering items they can realistically afford, They don't see fur adverts in the press or magazines, or even on TV like there used to be. All they hear are anti fur comments from the media. The result? fur retailers close all over the place, less and less fur available so the anti fur ethos just feeds itself.

If the average person does try and find out about fur, they will have heard about animal rights and Peta, so they are more likely to start there with their searches, and then they will just get biased searches that more and more point them to the anti fur message which just reinforces their erroneously formed impression about fur.

The fur industry has got to change its tactics if it wants any hope of making fur acceptable again to the masses. If it wants to remain niche, then so be it. Carry on doing what it is doing.

The difference now is that whereas fur in the past came and went as a fashion, but was always there in some form. Now, the anti fur crowd aren't justy saying it is a "fashion" issue, they have got everyone believing it is an ethical issue and that is why they are gaining so much ground over the fur trade.

No, that is not the point I was making sir. The point I am making applies to anything...basing what one does upon what others will possibly think is very often a self defeating way to live our lives, as there is always going to be someone who does not like what we do. Period. My comments were not intended as a personal attack or criticism, and hopefully they were not taken that way. I am only observing that when people such as your wife decline to wear furs, or do anything else for that matter based upon the fear of rejection or ridicule by others, especially if they would otherwise wish to do the thing being avoided, such may lead to great turmoil and frustration at being prevented from doing something fulfilling by unjust factors. That is what I was pointing up in the general sense. Many times in life and in many situations we all need to rise above our human nature, which you very accurately point out, is a very powerful force in various ways in all our lives, otherwise the world becomes a much darker place. My point still stands that regardless of what others are saying, if anyone, your wife included, wants to wear a fur for example, they should do so, if they do not, they should not, not because of others but for themselves, period. Passions have nothing to do with this. I realize that this comes easier for some, myself perhaps, but it is still I believe, accurate for all, and all people can work toward this. As an aside I should also state, that conformity in nearly anything is not a strong suit of mine, and never has been, hence the comment that you quoted, and my lack of understanding for it. Of course it would be wonderful if the fur industry would take your suggestions to heart, as to the general populace this would probably help, but this was simply not the point overall which I was attempting to make. Again, your points are very well made and thought provoking for me. I just wanted to make clear, I hope, where I am coming from.

I Agree with your Comments Lynxette,but the Fur Community needs to get more Perserverent in its place in this world ,cos if it dont,the Fur Scene out here will roll over & Die,as Ravens8 has pointed out.

Well, and that is what i am attempting to say, that by not being afraid to wear furs, and being out and about in them as much as possible, the general public side of the fur community can best help in that endeavor.