Am thinking of getting a lynx coat

a_man_of_many_foxes

Hello all,

I have a question for anyone who can answer. I am thinking of getting a lynx coat and wanted to know the pros and cons, and how it compares to fox. Other than price, how does it compare? I currently own 1 mink, 1 raccoon, 2 coyote, and 9 fox fur coats. Obviously fox is my favorite so please chime in. Thanks!

P.S this may have already been in a thread, but there were so many to scroll through so apologies if it’s a repeat.

I recomend talking to Lynxette here on the forums......

I understand that she knows alot of info on lynx fur.........

personally ive touched lynx furs and its just truely a Gorgeous fur...........

id buy one if I had the money and I could get one in a 2x to 3x plus size full lenght lynx fur coat

Also depends on which country you live and where you buy it from. Got almost stung by bringing a lynx into Auz, and not realising I needed a CITES permit for the shipping. I have been warned. So certain lynx's, including Canadian lynx need a permit to ship out of country of sale. Buyer beware.

As to the fur, beautiful.

Auzmink

When I worked at Macy's last year I paid a visit to their fur department looking to try on a lynx. The staff told me that they didn't carry them and unfortunately that their full length lynxes start at $30,000 and a high quality lynx could go for 10x as much. (hence why they prefer to not keep them around) Needless to say even as just a casual window shopper I left feeling a little rubber-legged. Fox coats are way more my speed anyway but I was a more than a little miffed at that price tag and explanation. I've spoken to other master furriers around the area who do have lynxes in ready supply but they all agreed that the quote I was given was pretty much an average cost of a brand new lynx. And finding one in my particular size meant buying a custom coat which I could never afford.

• 2 weeks later...

$30000 sounds like an exorbitant amount for a lynx coat. Unless Macy's carries Russian lynx coats. Canadian lynx coats do not cost $30000 each. Perhaps Macy's and the master furriers you talked to were referring to lynx cat or cat lynx, both of which are names for bobcat. Some super high-quality bobcat fur coats may cost that much.

$30000 sounds like an exorbitant amount for a lynx coat. Unless Macy's carries Russian lynx coats. Canadian lynx coats do not cost $30000 each. Perhaps Macy's and the master furriers you talked to were referring to lynx cat or cat lynx, both of which are names for bobcat. Some super high-quality bobcat fur coats may cost that much.

They were indeed russian lynx coats. Galanos in fact.

I think bobcat, Canadian lynx, and Russian lynx are better buys than fox. Many foxes are trapped in the wild and raised on fur farms. The three cats are rarer and the vast, vast majority are trapped in the wild. There is one bobcat fur farm in the US and it's located in Montana. Not sure about any fur farms in Canada that raise Canadian lynx. The three cats keep their value better than fox. Fox, especially red fox and its various color mutations, tends to shed even when the skins are newly tanned. The long guard hairs of red fox break easily and this contributes to the shedding. Fox is undoubtedly beautiful but it does have its drawbacks. If you can afford it, I'd recommend you buy a lynx coat (bobcat, Canadian, and Russian).

Cheers, I do, I adore fox fur, but lynx is really something special, so soft with long hairs, and nearly no shedding. However it has been kept in a smoking environment, if anyone has any tips how to remove the odour that would be most welcome.

Great looking lynx.

Can you hang it outside for a period of time? A good breeze would help, too. [Don't leave it out of sight, though.]

I find that magazine perfume ads placed inside the coat have a good effect on the lining.

Ok cheers for the tips, after a few days in the closet the scent has worn off already, it’s nearly gone. But I’m definitely going to hang it outside for a while as well.

And make sure that where ever you keep it is away from other peoples prying eyes too. Also be on guard for bugs if you live in a warmer climate because gnats and moths love textiles. Of course you dont want to use any moth balls or insect repellent anywhere near your fur but just don't keep it in an area where bugs can do any damage. If need be, a well ventilated room is perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still overwhelmed by this coat, it is so big, soft and beautiful! There is no furrier label, I suppose it has been custom made, it must have been ordered by a fur fetishist considering the size and model.

I have bought a lynx fur hat to go with this coat, it hasn't arrived yet but I hope it matches the coat perfectly.

• 4 weeks later...

The lynx fur hat I had ordered earlier was too small so I had to return it. I found another one which arrived today and it’s truly gorgeous, white at the front and beige tones at the back, a great match with the coat!!

It covers the ears, I wouldn't say it falls into the "huge" category, but it looks relatively big because it extends quite a bit on the back, and the fur at the front is wide and fluffy so it frames the face beautifully. Here are some pictures.

• 11 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 6:29 PM, auzmink said:

Also depends on which country you live and where you buy it from. Got almost stung by bringing a lynx into Auz, and not realising I needed a CITES permit for the shipping. I have been warned. So certain lynx's, including Canadian lynx need a permit to ship out of country of sale. Buyer beware.

As to the fur, beautiful.

Auzmink

All wildcat species are listed on CITES.  Most are on Appendix II but some are on Appendix I.  Those that are listed on Appendix I cannot be traded internationally on a commercial basis and can only cross international borders under exceptional circumstances like scientific research (molecular testing for species research/taxonomic clarification) and movement of live animals for captive breeding to boost population numbers.  Wildcat species that are listed on Appendix II can be traded internationally on a commercial basis but their trade must be accompanied by the proper CITES permits.

Edited by Tu_che_le_vanità