Wearing fur

TSCO

NO WAY!!

As has been stated many times on this board, wear your fur(s) with confidence. Others will pick up on the attitude you project and react accordingly.

You just gotta go out and do it... around here when its -30C I think people actually feel jealous I have a coat and they don't!!! If I am wearing raccoon or coyote, no one really stares so to say... if I haul out the massive silver fox get a few more looks.. but the people who have said anything absolutely LOVE it...

I'm probably not at a comfort level to be giving people advice on the subject. But I started with a fur-lined parka, and I was super nervous and self-conscious at first. But now a year later, I'm pretty comfortable wearing it out. My family hasn't seen it, but quite a few of my friends and coworkers have, and I've mostly gotten compliments. So I'm starting to think that the anxiety was mostly in my head. And it gets easier the more you do it. Winter is nearly over where I am, but next winter I'm thinking of taking the next step and buying a black fox jacket to wear outside.

I'm probably not at a comfort level to be giving people advice on the subject. But I started with a fur-lined parka, and I was super nervous and self-conscious at first. But now a year later, I'm pretty comfortable wearing it out. My family hasn't seen it, but quite a few of my friends and coworkers have, and I've mostly gotten compliments. So I'm starting to think that the anxiety was mostly in my head. And it gets easier the more you do it. Winter is nearly over where I am, but next winter I'm thinking of taking the next step and buying a black fox jacket to wear outside.

Cannot recommend black fox enough!

Especially as someone with anxiety around potential interactions with anti-fur folks or people who think men shouldn't wear fur. Black fox furs are an excellent combination of subtlety with the luxury of a bigger long haired furs. Being dyed they aren't obviously real fur like a natural fox fur, it seems like on a passing glance most people who know nothing about fur would assume a black fox fur to be faux. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone ask to touch my black fox furs and ask if they're faux. Usually it's the touch that will give it away though, real fox fur is inimitable. My favorite thing about my black fox fur is when wearing it at night people almost can't even tell I'm in fur until I get close or pass under some brighter lighting. It's kind of fun seeing people suddenly react to the sight of a big luxurious fox fur revealing itself at the last second.

I find it interesting that of long haired furs coyote & wolf are considered OK for men, but that fox (other than black) is generally not. I remember when I had a coyote parka that I received many compliments on it.

I've given a lot of consideration to a coyote parka. I have a women's coyote parka that's a little too narrow in the shoulder for me (even though I really like it), so I've thought about getting a men's one that's a proper fit. But black is really my color, hence the serious interest in black fox. You know what, I think I may actually bite the bullet and get it! Unfortunately, even if I bought the one I've had my eye on, it likely wouldn't arrive until winter is over. So hopefully it's still available several months from now!

I wear fur out all the time when going out. But mostly these are parkas, black fox, silver fox, and coyote.

I find long coats - of which I have several - bulky to wear out, particularly trying to fit a full-length platinum-fox hoodie into the driver side of a Prius or Camry,

Also, when going to a restaurant, storing the fur is not always easy.

But I will wear my white-fox full-length hoodie out for First Night come 12/31 1/1 as I always do.

Speaking of Black fox, there's an awesome full length someone has for sale locally... they want $1200 for it though, and it was bought used.. as much as Id love a full length black fox to half way down my calf, I think $1200 is a little steep for a twice "used" coat...

Especially as someone with anxiety around potential interactions with anti-fur folks or people who think men shouldn't wear fur. Black fox furs are an excellent combination of subtlety with the luxury of a bigger long haired furs. Being dyed they aren't obviously real fur like a natural fox fur, it seems like on a passing glance most people who know nothing about fur would assume a black fox fur to be faux. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone ask to touch my black fox furs and ask if they're faux. Usually it's the touch that will give it away though, real fox fur is inimitable. My favorite thing about my black fox fur is when wearing it at night people almost can't even tell I'm in fur until I get close or pass under some brighter lighting. It's kind of fun seeing people suddenly react to the sight of a big luxurious fox fur revealing itself at the last second.

I find the same thing if I wear a black full length mink at night to go for a walk.. you can't even tell til under a light!

I wear my furs out all the time, a couple are clearly male styled fox fur bomber jackets, but I ve also feminine / unisex fox & raccoon coats. I happily dress androgenously & when in the mood will wear make up as well. I think you have to own your look & remember you have the right to Express yourself in what ever way you like. If you are self confident others pick up on that, if I give someone a reason to have a giggle / laugh well I've lightened someone's day & no one got hurt. The freedom to truely be who you are & express that individuality is a something we are very lucky to have in progressive liberal countries, the joy in exercising that freedom more than compensates for any negatives. Personally I ve only received positive comments.......

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to point of nervousness at first wearing fur around friends etc.. I was terrified.. fearful of so many possible reactions. But I stated slow and wore my raccoon coat to my in-law for dinner on a cold night. I can do no wrong in that household so they loved my coat. Then to our best friend's for dinner -- wearing it out on the patio in the evening. My wife thought I nuts and made fun of me while there, but my friends just accepted it as part of me.

Going out in public was a real challenge - but I took a deep breath and headed to the grocery store one night. As I walked the aisles, passing people, there was not one look or one comment. When I reached the check out line, I started talking to a guy about something, and he made absolutely no notice of the coat. And as I was paying, a lady behind me said she wanted to trade coats. We laughed and I'm sure I made some inane comment, being embarrassed, but it taught me a lesson.

Most EVERYONE is too wrapped up in their own lives to pay attention to yours. And those that will comment on your fur -- 99% will make it a compliment. So as AK says, and I've said before, just wear it confidently -- look up and enjoy the experience. Soon it will become easy, and something you look forward to wearing ASAP!

• 3 years later...
On 3/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, leatherzaddy said:

I have to go for a black dyed fox, a hooded one, it is true, many fake furs are black colour... pity but it is the way to go unnoticed by ***

On 2/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, TSCO said:

Hi there fur den,

When you guys wear fur or relatives, friends, gf, etc do. Do you or they feel scared about wearing fur?

I know i do lol.

No. I always feel confident wearing fur especially wolverine.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, AKcoyote said:

I find it interesting that of long haired furs coyote & wolf are considered OK for men, but that fox (other than black) is generally not. I remember when I had a coyote parka that I received many compliments on it.

Wolf is considered gender neutral. Both men and women wear wolf ruffs on their parkas. Coyote is only good for trapper hats, mitts and boots/kameksaks.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, AKcoyote said:

When I go to arts markets and wear one of my  wolverine ruff parkas, everyone gives me compliments.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, jfurlover said:

I've given a lot of consideration to a coyote parka. I have a women's coyote parka that's a little too narrow in the shoulder for me (even though I really like it), so I've thought about getting a men's one that's a proper fit. But black is really my color, hence the serious interest in black fox. You know what, I think I may actually bite the bullet and get it! Unfortunately, even if I bought the one I've had my eye on, it likely wouldn't arrive until winter is over. So hopefully it's still available several months from now!

You should get a  parka with  a  beaver and black wolf ruff if you like the color black. 

I wear my furs out all the time in the winter. On a casual day I wear my red wool pea coat, that has a huge black fox fur collar and cuffs. Sometimes pair it with a matching pair of fox earmuffs or headband. Only on special occasions Ill wear my crystal or white fox full length coats.

• Like 3