I got a Job at a fur salon!

Panther10

So I was just hired yesterday to work at the Alaska Fur Gallery! I start in May and I'll be shipped off to Alaska to participate in their summer job program. I've been waiting a decade to get into a place like this so I can't believe that this actually managed to happen! They just hired me on the spot during the interview too so it has been a whirlwind..

YAHOOO!!!!!!

Congratulations,

Make sure to enjoy the furs

lol. Not allowed to do that at my place of work. Besides, I'm not a fetishist, I'm more into furs from a business/fashion standpoint.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll be working during the busy tourism season along Alaska's coastline so I'll be helping tourists that are coming ashore via cruise ships. I'm sure I'm gonna make a killing over the course of my 5 month stay.

So do we get the friends/family discount? Kidding. Have a good time, and congrats.

I would have to speak to my boss about this. I'm sure family/friends discount is allowed to some extent but it's a family owned chain. I'm pretty sure I can't service all 4000 members of this group. I feel like that might count as gaming the system.

Very nice. Its a summer job? Congratulations!!!! I always wanted to visit the Alaska Fur Gallery when we went on our cruise.

Very nice. Its a summer job? Congratulations!!!! I always wanted to visit the Alaska Fur Gallery when we went on our cruise.

It's a lovely store. I visited their Anchorage location last year during the Fur Rondy and I had an absolute blast. Incredibly friendly staff, incredible furs. and a pretty quaint atmosphere. I am really looking forward to working there. And with a little luck I'll be able to keep up that momentum when I return home with a job offer from my local furrier.

Congrats, sounds very exciting!! What are some of the details of your position there? Will it be in sales/front end or something else?

Oh they provide subsidized housing. and the job lasts for 5 months. But to your point as to why I am willing to make that trip in the first place is because as I told them, I've been considering a career in the fur industry for about a decade now, but due to my limited experience in the world of retail I never had the chance to find a job in the fur sector. So I sold furs independently and online for many years and I tried to find jobs here and there to sustain myself simultaniously. But I was never given any consideration until I walked into AK fur gallery last year. Once they told me about their program I was laser focused and hungry for this position. I didn't make the cut last year but I'm so glad that I get the chance now.

Subsidized housing? I'd guess that's for summer workers? I guess you will also keep your home ? Not a bad deal Hopefully you will make some money and have some fun learning about furs. What an experience it will be. Exciting.

Have fun with the new job..and good luck to you... and it's got to be exciting to see ladies and men's wearing what's been created...

So do we get the friends/family discount? Kidding. Have a good time, and congrats.

I would have to speak to my boss about this. I'm sure family/friends discount is allowed to some extent but it's a family owned chain. I'm pretty sure I can't service all 4000 members of this group. I feel like that might count as gaming the system.

Calm down there hotshot. I was kidding.

Enjoy it, and good luck to you.

Calm down there hotshot. I was kidding.

Enjoy it, and good luck to you.

lol I know you were messing around. Also I just read an interesting article that is somewhat pertinent to my job, but apparently Alaska is expecting a very robust tourism season with up to 2 million visitors and over half of them (1.3 million people) are expected to arrive via cruise ship along the Juneau and Skagway route. That news just blows me away. I hope we get a lot of customers looking to buy furs because that is just a huge money making opportunity right there.

I think the store is near the cruise terminal if I remember correctly? Love to hear how many customer you will see when a ship pulls in. It must be enough to hire summer help.

I would imagine so. It will be a true test of my skills in retail. Just from the sound of how many people we might see on a given day (which is around 20,000 visitors) every single day of that job sounds like black friday on steroids. So it sounds rough on the surface but I have a hunch that those five months will be a dream come true once I'm in the thick of it. I've wanted a job in the fur sector for around a decade now so this is a pretty awesome anniversary gift. And with luck I can take this experience and work at a fur salon closer to home when I come back in the fall and then just bounce around a little bit between AK and IL during the summer and winter months with a couple of months off between each gig

Time will tell. What I can say with absolute certainty is that even after a few days of work I'll be able to make the final payments on my custom silver fox and custom hat. And I will absolutely take pictures of those once they are sent to me.

Are you excited to start? It's hard to believe they get 20,000 visitors a day. I know of a couple that will be on the Alaska Cruise in May, maybe they will drop by to see you? Unfortunately, I would never be able to convince my wife to walk in a fur store.. I wonder how are their prices? When I last visited Alaska, clothing was tax free

With all the opposition on furs, Cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles banning the sale of furs, it will be interesting to see things from a furrier's prospective. What are people buying, are they escaping from the fur bans to buy in Alaska? Like me, will it be the husband that wants to buy a fur for the wife ? or is that a thing of the past? What kinds of furs and outfits do people want? Here on the forum, you see it from a fur lovers side. I hope furriers do not think we are weird.

How exciting.