Question for an Admin

blowmybagpipes

Excuse me, but why am I no longer able to send, receive, or even view my past private messages? I would PM you but since it is now mysteriously disabled I can't do that.

First, the question was originally asked in the wrong forum and the topic has been moved.

Now to answer the question, we recently made a change that puts users with less than 20 posts in the "Newly Registered" user group. That group does not have PM privileges. This change is part of our anti-harassment initiative.

I'm sorry, but how does my lack of posting and want for privacy correlate to me being some kind of predacious stalker. I have in no way harassed, bullied, intimidated, or untowardly solicited anything from any member whatsoever. Because I prefer to keep to myself, I'm to be charged by association with those who have intentionally antagonized others?

Secondly, I really don't appreciate you patronizing me because I failed to address you within the proper forum category. I had posted in the Den because I had thought it specifically was available for the broad general array of topics related to the community. I could already see that you had moved it to a different forum just from the index header at the top, I don't need to be chastised like a child via your reply. If its in the wrong category what's the difficulty in just moving it to a different forum and leaving it at that? Now anytime someone reads this post, they'll take me as some buffoon who can't tell the difference between simple forum divisions.

I have been a longtime member of this community, both under this username and another prior to it. As a member I've followed forum rules and guidelines to the letter and have in no way breached said bylaws. I had believed this to be an open and welcoming community, fully accepting of those with a common mindset in that of fur. I interact with other members in my own way, outside of making a substantial amount of posts; and from this communication I thoroughly enjoy the sense of camaraderie and community I experience here. I would hope coming from such an impartial and esteemed staff of administrators, that you see wisdom in the avoidance of alienating a bulk of your user base simply due to their inactivity. I ask that you please revise your decision and restore my account to its prior state so that I may continue to participate as a law abiding conscientious member of this society.

I thank you for your consideration.

I apologize about the way AK 'scolded' you over moving the post. Most people do not utilize the suggestion area so it gets a little frustrating when we constantly have to move posts.

To get to your issue: You may not have broken any of the rules that we have laid out here. We appreciate that, however, we have quite a few people that have. I personally feel that asking someone that's apart of an online community to have 20 posts shouldn't be an issue. You should have no issues throwing up replies on the various areas that we have on here.

As far as I'm aware - we haven't alienated anybody. We have over 3000 members, mostly inactive, on this site - and this is the first time I've had an issue with our recent change.

I don't question your loyalty, or anything like that to the site - we dearly appreciate you being here, but the site as a whole has an issue with the lack of participation, and other issues stemming from being able to have free run of all of the resources we have here.

We will discuss lowering it, but I will not eliminate it.

I hope you can understand my position on this. Thank you for your post.

I understand the bind you are in and the position afforded to your efforts in bolstering community interaction. I will consider what you have said, and I will try to involve myself more actively within the forums in the hopes of fostering participation at large.

Thank you for considering my appeal, I appreciate your attention and empathy.

There are several totally false assumptions in the previous post.

First, this was not a punitive action, but merely an attempt to encourage contribution by limiting access to a facility that has been severely abused by some who are not contributing to the forums.

Second, anybody can email an administer at any time so the PM facility is NOT critical to reporting harassment.

Third, that some older members with less than 20 posts can still use the PM facility is because I have not yet had the time to do a very complicated database update to make the change universal.

I've reduced it to 10, and failed to post about it. My fault. I think that is more than acceptable.

AK covered the rest.

This will not be changing.