Ann Sothern Show. 'Suzi'.

A place for all your cinematic delights in wonderful Superpanasurroundscopevision. Bring your own popcorn!
dongleboy

Ann Sothern Show. 'Suzi'.

Postby dongleboy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 am

There's a wonderful episode of The Ann Sothern Show as part of her 'Suzi' secretary Show. It's episode 12 of the Second Season and is entitled 'The Sable Coat'. It was first broadcast on January 10th, 1954.

The set up is that Suzi is secretary to a theatrical agent. In this episode, an eccentric French client returns from LA where he has made an extremely successful film and is enjoying his new found wealth and fame. This includes a blonde 'companion' who is seen wearing a gorgeous sable coat. However, the actor and companion argue and she throws the sable coat at Suzi saying she doesn't want it.

Having obtained this coat, Suzi then experiences negative effects including her landlady putting her rent up, (if you can afford a coat like that then you afford to pay more in rent!), her friend's jealousy and the fact that, as a comparatively impoverished secretary, she has nowhere to go! However, getting rid of the coat proves to be difficult although she eventually manages despite the fact she's heartbroken to part with it.

The denouement is that the actor and companion, in a new sable coat, return to the office where they again quarrel and, yes, you've guessed it, Suzi ends up with ANOTHER sable coat!

Alas, I've looked on YouTube and can find no evidence of that particular episode. I only know it because I have a 16mm print. If you can track it down, it's well worth seeing.

LordTheNightKnight

Re: Ann Sothern Show. 'Suzi'.

Postby LordTheNightKnight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:27 am

Seems like a take on the 30s film "Easy Living", which also has a sable coat.

Return to “The Moving Image”