Coffee drinkers

paul2809

I live in Hawaii, where some of the best coffee in the world is grown. Not exaggerating.

My favorite is the medium-dark roast from Aikane Plantation Coffee Company. They grow on the south end of the Big Island.

I like coffee from Costa-Rica most. As i visit many exhibitions on coffee and tea worldwide i have to admit the following. The location where the beans are cultivated is important for the "ground" and gives a direction. It is not only important what kind of coffee you choose, but also how it is roasted and how you brew it yourself. After many tasting tests, I no longer use a coffee maker but a French press and very hot water. It is also important how fine coffee is ground. So: You can make a philosophy out of it .... but the most important thing is to enjoy it, have time and try new things - as often as you can ..

• 2 weeks later...

I drink mine black.

I have been taken to drinking Bulletproof Coffee which is a method of taking the coffee in a blender with a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of coconut oil in it. You blend it for a minute then drink it. Believe it or not, there isn't much froth and it's not nearly as rich tasting as you might think. Quite tasty actually.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tend to like flavoured coffees with lots of sugar. Yes, I know, to a real coffee connoisseur, this is practically a sacrilege, but I just cannot drink anything that is not sweet in some way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Black coffee for me, I also appreciate aromas and notes of chocolate, nuts, and cherries in it.

Same I drink mine black as well.

Although when you mention the aromas of chocolate, nuts, or even fruits, I also get the same taste from some cigars. That opens up a whole new world of tastes as well.

Black coffee for me, I also appreciate aromas and notes of chocolate, nuts, and cherries in it.

Although when you mention the aromas of chocolate, nuts, or even fruits, I also get the same taste from some cigars. That opens up a whole new world of tastes as well.

Cigars and even cigarettes with different whiskeys and even some craft beers really do things for my tastebuds. I'm pretty consistent with favoring those flavors in craft beers and elsewhere. What kind of cigars? I'd love to try them.

Cigars and even cigarettes with different whiskeys and even some craft beers really do things for my tastebuds. I'm pretty consistent with favoring those flavors in craft beers and elsewhere. What kind of cigars? I'd love to try them.

Oh wow, I could really write a lot on this. I don't smoke cigarettes and never have. I do enjoy cigars with my wife on occasion (we do this out on our deck and sometimes wear our fur coats when indulging!). I've always enjoyed Drew Estate, Rocky Patel, CAO, the new Asylums, and of course the Liga X or a Cuban if I can get ahold of one.

As for a drink choice, I stick to Jack Daniels, scotch and soda, or a little rum mixed with something and that's typically in the summertime. To pair a cigar with coffee takes a little more planning to line up the flavors.

How about you friend?

Oh wow, I could really write a lot on this. I don't smoke cigarettes and never have. I do enjoy cigars with my wife on occasion (we do this out on our deck and sometimes wear our fur coats when indulging!). I've always enjoyed Drew Estate, Rocky Patel, CAO, the new Asylums, and of course the Liga X or a Cuban if I can get ahold of one.

As for a drink choice, I stick to Jack Daniels, scotch and soda, or a little rum mixed with something and that's typically in the summertime. To pair a cigar with coffee takes a little more planning to line up the flavors.

How about you friend?

So I more often smoke cigarettes with friends when I drink or if we're at a show between sets. My favorites are Marlboro Reds. Occasionally, I've done cigarettes with coffee if we're staying up late and needing a caffeine boost. That's how I know those flavors work together.

Cigars I don't have specific brands, because I've only smoked a few when sitting out with friends among a campfire while taking swigs of my friend's Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Bourbon Whiskey. New Year's would have been a nice celebratory time to smoke one, I guess, but it was below 0 degrees fahrenheit with wind chill, so it wouldn't have been worth it to freeze.

Jack and Coke is good if I'm at a bar and don't want to drink beer, otherwise I drink whiskeys neat at home. Bulleit Rye Whiskey, Redemption Rye Whiskey, Hudson Baby Bourbon, and Monkey Shoulder Scotch (strong citrus note) are probably my favorites that I'd like to try with cigars (maybe not the Bulleit).

That said, to bring this back around to coffee, Prairie Artisan Ale's Bomb! is a craft beer sold in single 12oz bottles and aged on coffee, chocolate, vanilla beans, and a hint of ancho chili peppers. It's a heavy imperial stout at 13% ABV (I think they make an alternate version at 15%) and usually in 5-7$ range. It's a favorite for treating myself, has really robust and rich flavors. I'd love to try it with a cigar, so thank you for the recommendations.

Another good coffee flavored craft beer is Santa Fe's Java Stout (8% ABV). Coffee and chocolate notes. I'd recommend trying it sometime.

Once it warms back up a bit, at least enough for bonfires in my friends's backyard, I'll have to give some of those cigars a try with all these.

This is my kind of thread.. I LOVE coffee. All kinds, and most coffee. I've rarely met a coffee I didn't love.

It's actually my favourite flavor in the world too, I love the taste of it. Followed by dark chocolate & cacao.

• 1 month later...

I buy fair trade green beans and weekly roast them to a medium-dark, then mill the each time I brew. Enjoy both black and with 10%.

• 4 months later...

I'm a huge fiend for flat whites, the best I've had so far is at my old local chain (of about 10 shops) who used colombian arabica beans. It was so strong without being bitter in the slightest.

I don't go to coffee shops much though. When I'm at home I can easily go through 7-8 cups of instant coffee a day even though it doesn't compare with real coffee. The best I've had so far is Nescafe Azera

• 2 months later...

I nomally need 2 maybe 3cups of coffe to wake me up and get going.... Not enough compared to a carafe, but its enough for me... I use the kureg unit..

• 2 years later...

Well, might be a time to revive this thread.

I recently got a moka pot and a servicable blade grinder, and I'm hooked. I doubt I have the moka brewing method down without fault, but still, transitioning from instant coffee to this is already a massive leap in terms of flavour. And I'd like to try exploring deeper into that.

Anybody got a recommendation for good dark roast that works well with moka pots? I prefer rounder, bittersweet, full profile, and, coffee heresy incoming, I found that I prefer robusta and arabica mixes to pure arabica. Any brand or region in general that might fit this?

On 9/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, ShortsightedFarseer said:

I recently got a moka pot...

Beside a real espresso maker, either a moka pot or a French press are the only way!

You can use almost any medium grind coffee in a moka pot.  You don't need espresso grind or anything special.  As a matter of fact, the small particle size of espresso grind can cause too much pressure to build up in a moka pot, resulting in the relief valve popping off.

For a French press, use a medium grind.  The trick is to use really hot water and monitor your steeping time.  If you let it go too long, you'll get bitter flavor because the coffee gets over extracted.  (Unless you like that flavor.)

Bulletproof coffee?  Just go get some coconut oil from the grocery store and use sweet cream or European style butter.  Make your coffee with either of the two methods above or use espresso then add your fats to taste.  Unsalted butter is preferable.

I've been putting butter in my coffee for years.  I never heard of Bulletproof until just recently.  One time, long ago, I ran out of cream to put in my coffee and didn't want to schlep to the store to buy more so I just used some butter that I had in the fridge.  I had heard that, in "the old days" people used to use butter and I thought, "Butter is just solidified milk," so I gave it a whirl.  I liked it so I kept doing it.  I don't do it so much, anymore, but I still drink coffee with butter on occasion when I want something different.

If you don't like the look of butter fat floating on the surface of your cup of coffee, just put it in the blender for a few moments or use an immersion blender.

I'm sorry to sound rude but, to be honest, most of the commotion about coffee is just advertising wank.  If you like the flavor of one kind of coffee over another, that's one thing but paying top dollar for something you can make at home is ridiculous.  Just go to the grocery store and buy some coffee.  If you like specialty coffee, fine.  If you want to grind your own beans, knock yourself out.

Five dollars for a cup of coffee at Starbucks?  Dumb!  Just plain dumb!