Buying fur in Istanbul

Charfur

Hi,

This summer I will go for holidays to Istanbul. To my great surprise quite a few furriers are there, not just leather. Does anyone has experience in buying tailor made furs in Istanbul. What is the quality of the fur and craftsmanship? Prices? Any help would be welcome, especially on mink, fox and chinchilla.

• 5 weeks later...

I been there back in 94 )) but experience is good, friendly people and all. Like I told you, now their lira going down due political bullshit of Erdogan, so it's good time to buy from there.

Just came back from Istanbul

The city is very alive, but they have a complete neighbourhood with furriers unfortunately where good negotiating skills are required

I was living in Istanbul for a while and I remember their fur district.

Unfortunately, never went seriously shopping there.

I would love that you told us the range of prices. My husband travels to Turkey really often and maybe he can bring me something nice. But living in Canada I doubt that they have better prices.

Since I am Dutch I paid with euro's. Euro's are widely accepted and often preferred by shops and hotels. Price tags are mostly in dollars and are highly overrated, approx 5 times the actual price. Turkish labor cost is very low for Western standards, a mink coat should not cost $15000 including VAT. Apart from that I did not check any other prices tags.

I only bought the chinchilla coat, after that I was out of money , still have to furbish my new house. A similar women's chinchilla was appraised at $22000 and I paid roughly 3900 euro excluding VAT.