The Crown.

dongleboy

My wife and I are, as so often, late to the party but we’ve been binge watching The Crown on DVD.  It’s a fascinating insight into the life and times of  Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second and the Royal Family. 

However, amongst the dvd ‘extras’, there’s a small feature about the fabrics of the show.  Alas, there’s only a brief mention of the furs featured in the show and it’s along the lines of ‘there’s a policy of no new fur’.  Apparently, all the fur shown was bought on Etsy and other ‘pre-loved’ sites. 

And that’s a shame since the fur shown is pretty poor and in no way reflects the quality of the furs that members of the Royal Family would have been wearing in the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s.  Compared to the other clothing featured it’s the only false note in the whole series which obviously had a huge budget.  One exception is the most recent episode we’ve watched where Princess Margaret drives herself and wears a mink coat that befits someone of her status. 

I’m not sure if the policy of no new fur extended to attempting to make real fur as unglamorous as possible but it would seem the producers have succeeded in featuring the cheapest furs possible. 

Has anyone else seen The Crown and care to comment?  Thanks. 

I did, I liked the series but not really for the fur. There are some scenes with some fur but nothing memorable. I do recall that Lady Di enjoyed her furs, shame there is nothing about that in the series. 

Posted (edited)

At last!  A reply! 😁😁

Yes, I believe that the late Princess Diana loved fur.  Alas, she was probably dissuaded from wearing it by the palace mandarins.  Unfortunately, one can’t really use the argument of her wearing clothes made by Asian children working in sweatshops since I doubt she ever wore ordinary clothing. 

Edited by dongleboy

Yes, I fully agree! So much for moral values. Anyway, rumour has it that Princess Diana once opened the door to her lover wearing nothing but a fur coat. That story excited me a lot when I heard about it at the time but I'm not sure if it is true. She must have looked amazing in furs. 

1 hour ago, FullLengthFox said:

Yes, I fully agree! So much for moral values. Anyway, rumour has it that Princess Diana once opened the door to her lover wearing nothing but a fur coat. That story excited me a lot when I heard about it at the time but I'm not sure if it is true. She must have looked amazing in furs. 

I’m sure there’s a photo of her wearing a mink jacket somewhere. 

I recall having seen this one. But maybe she had bigger furs in which she was never seen. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, FullLengthFox said:

I recall having seen this one. But maybe she had bigger furs in which she was never seen. 

spacer.png

Fantastic! Yes, that’s the photo I remember.  

19 hours ago, dongleboy said:

Fantastic! Yes, that’s the photo I remember.  

Me too! Don’t know if she had any more BUT all I do know is King Charles was absolutely stupid for falling out of love for this Angel on Earth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pnwhist said:

Me too! Don’t know if she had any more BUT all I do know is King Charles was absolutely stupid for falling out of love for this Angel on Earth.

It seems to have been a very complicated and, ultimately, sad story.  

On 8/19/2024 at 9:07 PM, dongleboy said:

At last!  A reply! 😁😁

Yes, I believe that the late Princess Diana loved fur.  Alas, she was probably dissuaded from wearing it by the palace mandarins.  Unfortunately, one can’t really use the argument of her wearing clothes made by Asian children working in sweatshops since I doubt she ever wore ordinary clothing. 

A lady of Diana's status should have been head to toe in Russian Sable.

• Like 2

Loads of pics of Royals in fur on Flickr , The Queen Princess Margaret also Royal ladies from abroad

On 8/15/2024 at 5:08 PM, dongleboy said:

My wife and I are, as so often, late to the party but we’ve been binge watching The Crown on DVD.  It’s a fascinating insight into the life and times of  Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second and the Royal Family. 

However, amongst the dvd ‘extras’, there’s a small feature about the fabrics of the show.  Alas, there’s only a brief mention of the furs featured in the show and it’s along the lines of ‘there’s a policy of no new fur’.  Apparently, all the fur shown was bought on Etsy and other ‘pre-loved’ sites. 

And that’s a shame since the fur shown is pretty poor and in no way reflects the quality of the furs that members of the Royal Family would have been wearing in the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s.  Compared to the other clothing featured it’s the only false note in the whole series which obviously had a huge budget.  One exception is the most recent episode we’ve watched where Princess Margaret drives herself and wears a mink coat that befits someone of her status. 

I’m not sure if the policy of no new fur extended to attempting to make real fur as unglamorous as possible but it would seem the producers have succeeded in featuring the cheapest furs possible. 

Has anyone else seen The Crown and care to comment?  Thanks. 

Part of an annoying trend within cinema and TV, where they put being “anti-fur” above accuracy to character or history. Like, I get if you don’t like the stuff, but if you’re portraying a royal family, accuracy would be a new, expensive fur. These are the English royals after all! The same goes for the new Cruella movie… if a character once said “I live for fur, I worship fur” then she NEEDS to be shown in lots and lots of real fur. Sure, we love it and therefore want to see it, but, even from a purely critical angle, it makes sense! It’s essential to the plot and character!

• Like 1