Needing some advice before getting first coat

Efferus33

Hi everyone,mink.thumb.jpg.51070d7ae9fbe650a525311a98372dd8.jpg

It's still the summer but I have never been so close to being able to buy my first fur and I wanted some advice. I am a men from Europe.

I would be interested in getting a brown mink / white fox hooded fur coat, I would also love the hood to have fur on both sides, (I also thought about a full length crystal fox but for a first coat that seems overkill). I would like to get a coat that doesn't look too feminine, something easy to wear. Do you have any recommandations, are those type of coats easy to find? I'm sure I could find something in France but what about Scandinavia, is it cheaper there? 

The fox fur coats both look gorgeous but I fear I would "stand out from the crowd" more with something massive like that, mink seems more discrete. Do you have any suggestions? Isn't mink more durable? I've brought some pictures about a few coats I like.

image.thumb.png.72f3556048abdf98ab4003695c2b3acc.pngAlso I would prefer to try them first, so I was thinking about going to a furrier. What price seems reasonable for such coats? Is it cheaper in the summer? I've recently seen discounts at my local* fur shop but for some reason I'm still a bit too shy to enter. Generally speaking, are furrier welcoming with men?

I am looking forward for your answers!

Have a nice day,

E.

*Not so local to be honest, I think it's really on the high end of the spectrum so I fear for the price (they sell incredible sable and chinchilla coats too... but I guess I could ask to try some lol).

image.thumb.jpeg.90088b6f59c084d493f7005a66b26221.jpeg

i love the coats you use as example, but they are all lady coats. i think you should look for mens fur coats. I am a fan of fursource. com. They have coats especially for men. The rabbits are nice and cheap, but they have fox, coyote, raccoon and mink too. 

https://www.fursource.com/the-hudson-mid-length-natural-grey-fox-fur-coat-for-men-p-3605.html#/10581-mens_coat_size-large/11123-custom_collar_option-with_detachable_hood

https://www.fursource.com/mens-red-fox-fur-zippered-jacket-p-2232.html#/10581-mens_coat_size-large/11100-custom_collar_option-jacket_only

https://www.fursource.com/mid-length-raccoon-fur-coat-for-men-p-2655.html#/10582-mens_coat_size-xlarge/11100-custom_collar_option-jacket_only

It is also possbly to buy a used mink coat (in a very big size) and to bring the coat to your furrier to make out the coat/jacket you want. I did it this way and I paid about 1100 euro for my coat.

Edited by furloverF
  • Like 1

Regarding your concerns about standing out in a crowd: yes, any longer haired furs like fox, coyote, raccoon, etc will definitely make you stand out. But that’s sometimes desirable. For a first coat I would overwhelmingly recommend a bomber style jacket with it being either brown mink like you suggested or maybe a fox jacket. If you add a hood, especially a double sided hood, it’ll add to the expense as well as make it less versatile to wear and make you stick out in that crowd you were mentioning. Try looking for a jacket pre owned under $1000 USD and new under $2000 USD. Here are some examples for men: 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1648883153/

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1186110266/

this one is a rabbit reversible:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1514297250/

For the price, I think this is the best option… you will fall in love with Lynx. (Yes it says “women’s” but it looks phenomenal on men):

https://furoutlet.com/womens/womens-fur-jackets/sheared-mink-bomber-fur-jacket-with-lynx-fur-collar-1/

The most important part of getting your first fur jacket is making sure it fits. Go to a furrier, a good furrier will love you no matter who you are; male, female, green, purple, or red. I would highly recommend getting professional measured and knowing your dimensions and while you’re there, feel the different types of fur to make 100% sure that you will feel comfortable wearing it. Just don’t be weird about it, go in as an enthusiast not a fetishist:)

Getting it new will have the advantage of being made exclusively for you, but that comes at a price. If you go used, make sure you know the history of the fur like how old it is, how it has been kept (smoking household or pets), when it was last cleaned and glazed, and if it was stored properly or at a furrier. This will tell you all you need to know about the fur to be confident in your purchase. Ask for lots of pictures are inspect high use areas for balding, shedding, or rips and tears. Do not spend money on a fur that you will have to spend double what it is worth trying to fix it.

As far as fur recommendations: black/brown mink, black dyed blue fox, frost fox, rabbit, or anything neutral.

make sure this fur is the one that will make you happy with the most. I cannot stress harder that it is worth to save up that extra $200-$300 to get something that is exactly what you are looking for rather than settling for something just because it’s in your budget and you’re lazy to look elsewhere.

Please let me know if I missed anything and I hope this helps.

• Like 5

Chris pretty much nailed it with his response. I too prefer a more discreet coat so I’ve always opted for brown/black mink coats. New mink is incredibly soft and durable. I also think it looks the best, but that’s just a personal preference. If you do buy a mink, I think you would prefer a skin to skin coat rather than the horizontal pattern above as it’s more feminine. I’ve always been a fan of mid length coats for being out in public (less attention grabbing, I wear furs for me, not the attention they tend to garner). Fenzo furs is a fantastic option, I have a few coats from them.

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice everyone! A bomber jacket seems like a very good advice.

On 8/18/2024 at 10:25 AM, Chrisfurlover said:

As far as fur recommendations: black/brown mink, black dyed blue fox, frost fox, rabbit, or anything neutral.

Those furs do look very good on men, sometimes I'm surprised that there are so few men that wear fur. I've also never understood why the horizontal pattern was considered more feminine. I guess I may understand when I'll try.image.thumb.png.21c89ddb0fd1e6d58d7ffab568425bda.png

I found a few exemples. Thanks for the help guys.

image.png.5a92fe20f55649efb888156fc875f8dd.png 

Yeah man! At the end of the day it’s what makes you happy and it’s your money after all. Go with something both physically and mentally comforting. If you are looking at new I still highly recommend getting professionally measured at a furrier as it’s a free service and it will ensure no matter what you get, that it will fit exactly how you envisioned it would… no more guess work!