Thickness of lynx fur

Pelsker

Hi, everyone!

I have owned a couple of canadian lynx furs, and always been somewhat disappointed with their thickness. Have I been unlucky, or is the typical thickness of lynx fur thinner than say fox fur in general? 

Any thoughts on this?

i would love to buy a really thick lynx fur jacket or coat.

Pelsker

• Like 1

I have a lynx fur coat and it is thicker than fox, but there are several lynx fur types. Bobcat lynx is probably thinner for instance. 

Russian lynx is arguably the thinnest of the skins. It’s practically as long as beaver or raccoon. I have personally handled Canadian lynx when I worked at a fur shop and that jacket had skins that were on par with a coyote pelt.  May I ask where you got your Canadian Lynx? Was this a second hand purchase or was it brand new and you  can easily verify it’s identity with an appraisal from the company you bought it from?

I have a full length Cdn Lynx I got last year from a woman who clearly knew nothing about what she had.. I paid $150 for it, and it is amazing... the gaurd hairs are so long..when the wind blows on the fur its an amazing site.. one of those coats you just don't want to take off... the thing Ive noticed with it is anytime the long gaurd hairs get damp though, they tend to dry all shriveled and clump together...

3 hours ago, Panther10 said:

Russian lynx is arguably the thinnest of the skins. It’s practically as long as beaver or raccoon. I have personally handled Canadian lynx when I worked at a fur shop and that jacket had skins that were on par with a coyote pelt.  May I ask where you got your Canadian Lynx? Was this a second hand purchase or was it brand new and you  can easily verify it’s identity with an appraisal from the company you bought it from?

Thank you both - the coat I bought was used, so I didn't knot it's origins. But it was nowhere near a coyote pelt in thickness. Based on your and FullLengthFox's information I recon Canadian lynx is the one I would be most satisfied with, given the pelt is of good quality. Any thoughts on where I can look to buy such a coat or jacket? 

4 minutes ago, WinnipegFur said:

I have a full length Cdn Lynx I got last year from a woman who clearly knew nothing about what she had.. I paid $150 for it, and it is amazing... the gaurd hairs are so long..when the wind blows on the fur its an amazing site.. one of those coats you just don't want to take off... the thing Ive noticed with it is anytime the long gaurd hairs get damp though, they tend to dry all shriveled and clump together...

That's a real bargain! I regularly search on sites like eBay and Etsy, but the selection is sparse. Any advice on where I can look?

Edited by Pelsker

10 minutes ago, Pelsker said:

That's a real bargain! I regularly search on sites like eBay and Etsy, but the selection is sparse. Any advice on where I can look?

Im in Canada, so I search kijiji alot.. sometimes there are coats on there people just dont know what they have... there are alot in the Montreal area.. theres an awesome grey fox thats hooded and has accents of red fox on it... If I was in Montreal Id grab it in a heartbeat.. try facebook marketplace as well... sometimes some good finds pop up on there... you'll also find quite the opposite where someone thinks there 30+ year old fur coat is worth 4X what it was 30 years ago..

5 hours ago, Pelsker said:

Thank you both - the coat I bought was used, so I didn't knot it's origins. But it was nowhere near a coyote pelt in thickness. Based on your and FullLengthFox's information I recon Canadian lynx is the one I would be most satisfied with, given the pelt is of good quality. Any thoughts on where I can look to buy such a coat or jacket? 

I have no idea what your budget is but if you want a high quality Canadian lynx that is guaranteed to fit you that is also brand new and you can vouch for the origin, Kaufman furs has one in stock. And if that particular fur isn’t plush enough for your particular tastes than feel free to call the store and ask if they have any super plush Canadian lynx skins that are equal to a fox pelt or a coyote pelt in terms of thickness and you’d like to be quoted for a coat or a jacket. They offer layaway options too so don’t feel as if you have to put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to payment. You can put money down throughout the year until your order is fully paid off.

https://kaufmanfurs.com/mens-full-length-canadian-lynx-coat-8334/

20 hours ago, Pelsker said:

What kind of lynx is your coat? And can I ask where you bought it?

Full length Canadian lynx, I bought it on eBay. It's extremely fluffy. 

299d105271eeba45ffcc5d5d8ca7bb6b.jpg

Edited by FullLengthFox
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, FullLengthFox said:

Full length Canadian lynx, I bought it on eBay. It's extremely fluffy. 

299d105271eeba45ffcc5d5d8ca7bb6b.jpg

That coat is AMAZING! I would love to buy one like that. Can I also ask what kind of money you spent on it? 

Panther10: My budget is somewhat flexible if the right coat shows up, but new coats from a store is probably too much right now. Around $1000 is possible, but I live in Norway, so shipping and taxes will also be part of a deal. If it`s even possible to buy such a coat for that amount…

Edited by Pelsker
  • Like 1

Honestly I can't really remember but I think it was in the area of EUR 1400. As you say, there were import duties too, but it was still quite a bargain, I didn't hesitate when I saw it on eBay. 

• 9 months later...